• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to lighten up an M101 3/4 ton trailer?

Andy

I've got a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4-door Unlimited. Tow capacity is 3500# max.

Looking at buying a M101 (not sure of the exact model) trailer, but at 1300# empty weight I'd like to put it on a diet.

I'm thinking if I were to get rid of the upper part (wood rails, etc) that would shave some weight. Maybe a new 3500# axle would help as well...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Andy

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My manual says the M101A2 is 1340 lbs, about the same as the earlier models. I'd look at a lighter and smaller trailer, like a M100 or M416.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What kind of loads do you anticipate hauling?

What size engine do you have......standard or automatic tranny?

M101's do not have electric brakes......you have to get a newer model with the surge brakes to have trailer brakes.

The military lights are 24 volt and the plug will not adapt to a civy setup so you will need to add lights you can hook up to your truck.

You will only lose a hundred pounds or so by losing the tarp and bows.

If you have to lighten the trailer considerably to pull it you may just want to buy a lighter civy trailer to begin with.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Andy

What kind of loads do you anticipate hauling?

What size engine do you have......standard or automatic tranny?

M101's do not have electric brakes......you have to get a newer model with the surge brakes to have trailer brakes.

The military lights are 24 volt and the plug will not adapt to a civy setup so you will need to add lights you can hook up to your truck.

You will only lose a hundred pounds or so by losing the tarp and bows.

If you have to lighten the trailer considerably to pull it you may just want to buy a lighter civy trailer to begin with.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Mostly camping gear as well as clothes, etc. that we take with us when we transfer (I'm active duty Coast Guard). When not used for transfer, will be hauling camping and fishing gear.

3.8L V6, 4-speed auto tranny, 3.73 ratio.

It's already got 12V LED lights set up on it, so no issue there.

I know I can pull it, the towing capacity of the Wrangler is 3500#. Just want to get it as light as possible.

Thanks for the reply!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without hurting structural integrity, I would say not much to reduce weight. Get a 3" hole saw and start popping holes everywhere.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if there is some confusion here, but to make matters worse there is a M101 trailer in US inventory that is rated at 3/4 ton cargo capacity, and there is a M101 trailer in Canadian inventory that is rated at 1/4 ton capacity. Two different size trailers.

The Canadian M101 is more close to our old M100 or M416 trailers.

Andy

No confusion, I'm talking about the US M101 that's the 3/4 ton trailer, as mentioned in my original post.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

BSH

Somebody else posted pics of an M101a1 with civvy axle, wheels, & landing leg. That saves a bunch of weight right there, and makes it more friendly for civvy tow vehicles too.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Am I missing something? The jeep is rated for 3500lbs towing, the trailer weighs 1300lbs, so that would leave 2000lbs available to put in a 3/4 ton trailer. Sound right? I see no problems there.

OutsideFamily

The only issue I see is brakes. Personally, I would not want to tow 3500# behind a Wrangler without trailer brakes. Especially a short wheelbase Wrangler. My 2 cents.

I'm shopping for an M101, and would like to be able to tow it behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee (5000#-ish rating). I passed on a couple M101A1's recently and I'm still looking for an A2 to get the brakes (and 8-lug wheels common with my pickup).

derf

See my thread about lowering, lightening, and putting a new axle under a M101A1.

If I were you and using it for camping I would do what I did, but get one with sides, bows, and canvas. Then, if you need shelter, you got it.

I haven't tried it, yet but I think you can use the bows without the sides for lower profile covered trailering.

I like surge brakes on larger trailers. I prefer electric brakes with a good controller. On the little 101, I prefer no brakes. If I were hauling bricks or logs or other super heavy loads regularly, I might opt for brakes. The 3500lb axle I used can be upgraded with brakes, if necessary.

If you get a good deal on a M101A2, you might look to sell the surge brake axle and actuator to someone who wants to upgrade a M101A1.

BSH

The only issue I see is brakes. Personally, I would not want to tow 3500# behind a Wrangler without trailer brakes. Especially a short wheelbase Wrangler. My 2 cents.
Note that the OP indicated a new style 4-door Wrangler. They have a long wheelbase, and 4-wheel disc brakes. The weak point for heavy towing on these vehicles is the powertrain.

derf

For rated tow capacity 2 door Jeep Wranglers max at 2000lbs, 4 door Wranglers max at 3500lbs, "if properly equipped".

Any modifications, lifting, oversize tires, etc. would probably lower the safe tow capacity, IMHO.

It'll pull an M101, but not one loaded heavy, at least not safely.

taildragger03

I am curious, in the future, do you plan on hauling any where near 3500 lbs.? I ask because 2000 lbs. is a lot of camping and fishing equipment. The picture is my 3/4 ton with roughly a 1000 lbs. of wood on a civy axle. If you are planning to pull weight, look into brakes for the trailer. Pulling shouldn't be a problem, slowing it all down could be.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks