• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1954 Volvo TP21 Sugga direct from Sweden

bbftx

Greetings,
I am a new forum member, along with my recently acquired Volvo Sugga pictured below.
It served about 40 years in the Swedish army. It was then sent to the Swedish Army Museum, where it was a duplicate for one already on display. I bought it from a private individual who purchased it from the Musuem a year or two ago.
I was able to successfully import it this month from Sweden into Texas. It came over on a RORO ship with new Volvos, BMWs, etc. I'd be happy to share what I've learned about importing an MV with anyone that's interested.

I've found a great mechanic to help me modernize the Sugga. It still runs, but it's not geared for driving around town or on the highway. I'll be putting in a 7.3L PowerStroke diesel drivetrain to replace the 90hp inline 6 that the Volvo currently sports.
Still debating whether to repaint it in the official Sweden M90 camo paint it currently sports, or a new M90K desert version, or just a solid OD. Plenty of time for that decision....

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats and welcome bbftx.

I am quite jealous of your Sow.
I have been after one for 5 years now.
Never popping up at the right time.
There always seems to be a 5 ton or DUKW rolling past that I want and I wind up spending the Sugga fund money I have saved.

I will definitely look you up when I get ready to do the RORO thing.

Again, very nice rig. Save the power train when you do the transplant.

I vote solid OD.

What number is she.

Have you contacted the folks that keep the registry?

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a similar vehicle at the GLMVPA Camp Grayling Color Tour this past September. It was a radio truck in very good condition. I'll dig up a photo.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Very, very nice. I have always thought they would be neat to own. Not that I'm knocking the PS idea, I have a 02 7.3 myself that I am very happy with but have you thought about the Cummins 4BT. Just like the idea of no electronics to have to deal with.

Pawnshop

Welcome aboard! We would love to have you in the local club of like minded individuals! Our next event is the Cars N Coffee show in Leander on Sunday 31 October, we would love to see you there.

bbftx

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Quarkz, this is number 125, built in Nov '54. I've not yet sent info to the SuggaRegistry at Terrangbil.net. There are actually at least two other "registries" out there. There seems to be minimal overlap and many of the entries in all of them seem to be out of date. I'll get to it though.

I did consider a 4BT DieselBob, but the vibration reputation scared me off. A 6BT could be made to fit, with relatively straightforward mods to the engine compartment, so that is my second choice after the PS. But, I trust the guy I have to do the work. He's a Sugga and PS diesel expert. We're not scared of the electronics.

Pawnshop, Thanks for the MVPA invite. I can't make the 31st, but I see your calendar and will try to make some of the future events.

Will get some interior shots posted too B3.3T

Pawnshop

I saw one of those on eBay not too long ago and have been curious ever since, I can't wait to see yours! There are a lot of Veteran's Day events coming up, I hope you can join us.

bbftx

Hey 319, cool pics. Glad a Sugga made it to the GLMVPA show. No radio gear left in mine, but you can see the old radio table in the rear compartment in my pictures below.

Pawnshop, it will likely be months before the work on my TP21 is done, so you'll have a bit of a wait to see my vehicle. But I do promise to bring it out when it's ready.

In the meantime, here are a few interior pics. The cab of the Sugga came from a large sedan Volvo made starting in the 40's I believe. Even the speedometer from this sedan was used. As you can see in the photo, it doesn't look like the typical MV gauge set!
One of the pics below shows the valves to engage the vaccuum differential locks.

The red plate reads "Protect the antennas at Low Passages" This warning is posted right above the right side of the speedo.
Radio gear was mounted in the rear compartment on the table in the picture. Alas, no radio gear left in my vehicle, just the voltage meter in the picture is left.
Suggas even came with a sun roof ! I guess we should call it a hatch....

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard.

Saw one of those in OD close to 30 years ago down in Corpus Christi. I was tickled at the time because I knew what it was (thanks to Vanderveen's Military Vehicles Directory, which I studied religiously as a youngster).

Hope to see yours in person soon.

Cheers

bbftx

Hey Dave,
Sugga's are 4 speed plus reverse. Also a high/low gearbox. And, separate engagement of front wheels for 4wd.
Max speed is 90 km/h, but that "excessive" speed was frowned upon. Generally, army drivers were told to keep it under 65 or 70 km/h I'm told by Rolf, my Swedish mechanic.

Thanks for the translation offer, Bjorn. Rolf is qualified too, but I'll let you know if we have trouble with anything. There's actually a great English translation of the Swedish Army manual for the Sugga which was apparently done some time ago by a Swedish merchant navy engineer during his down time on an ocean voyage. He was commissioned to do the translation by an English-speaking Sugga owner

Pawnshop

Man that thing is SWEET! I have a craving for a foreign MV of some sort and that would do the trick:), you beat me to it, I will have to find something else for some variety in our area. Does she run and drive at the moment?

bbftx

The Sugga does run Pawnshop, but I'm starting the resto right away.

If you want a foregin MV, one to consider is a Volvo 6x6 truck, called a 912. Simliar front end to a Sugga, (but the parts aren't interchangeable). I could get one in good shape for you from Sweden! Pictures below:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks