• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MX7794B TVS-2 Nightvison

Maverick1701

I was digging through one of the storage rooms here at my Sheriffs Office and found an old nightvision device. If anyone has any tips/tricks as to operating this thing, feel free to chime in lol

Im still missing the power source (the place for the battery slot is empty)

Military tag on the side says
Night Vision Sight Subassembly MX7794B TVS-2
FSN: 5855-409-0915
Serial #: 3756B
MFGT By: Electrospace Corporation
Contract Number: DAAB07-69-C-0329

I have been trying to find a manual or some information on how to operate it.....so far I can only find sites that require me to purchase the manual (but Im a frugal bastard).
Does anyone here have a copy of the manual they wouldnt mind emailing me? (I dont mind paying a fellow SS member for a copy but I hate to pay some random person)
Ill post pictures after I get off work tonight around midnight.

Maverick1701

Aswayze

I have one as well. It's amazing for something that old.

We are going to use it at East Wind (cold war reenactment) to keep an eye on the border with.

Teamed up with our Hughes Probeye thermal imager, this should make one mean LP/OP

It is 7X magnification and QUITE heavy so you'd want a tripod mount to be sure. We had it out to a park a few nights ago after I finally got it running and did some testing.

Look around with the PVS-14, which sees very well close up but not so good at distance... Ok, what's that over there? That little dot? Pan the TVS-2 around... Ok, that a water tower quite a ways away. It's an aluminum one, with 5 legs, it has two rows of text on it but I cannot quite read it.

Look around some more with the 14 and see a distant odd shape. What’s that over there? Pan the TVS around and it’s a porta potty. One of those handicapped ones. Porta-John brand.

In the right light conditions, this thing is amazing.

The RIGHT conditions…

Much of any other light sources like distant dusk to dawn lights, blinky radio towers or even bright moon light really washed it out badly. For a Sherrifs dept, I doubt it will do you a lot of good since most anyone you will want to watch will probably be doing something in or near a light source.

Power source is no biggy. Mine came with a AA adaptor from Brooke Clark (the prc-68.com guy) the end cap that you are missing is just a cap with a spring on it like the base of a flashlight. Any pud machinist could crack one out for you in nothing flat.

Aswayze

Also, we do have manuals for this. My web guy should have them in the training section of the East Wind site today sometime, I'll post a link once he gets them there.

Maverick1701

Also, we do have manuals for this. My web guy should have them in the training section of the East Wind site today sometime, I'll post a link once he gets them there.

Thanks!

I just send brooke (the PRC68 guy) an email asking about the battery packs....hopefully I will hear back soon.

Aswayze

http://www.operationeastwind.com/NATO/training/index.shtml

Unfortunately, we do not have a user level manual for it but we do have some stuff here on the page in the Night Vision section. Also, do check out the Night Vision film, while it is not specifically about the TVS, it is from the same era and covers similar equipment.

Hope this helps, get that thing running so you can come up to East Wind and help us spy on the Russians and East Germans with it.

Maverick1701

http://www.operationeastwind.com/NATO/training/index.shtml

Unfortunately, we do not have a user level manual for it but we do have some stuff here on the page in the Night Vision section. Also, do check out the Night Vision film, while it is not specifically about the TVS, it is from the same era and covers similar equipment.

Hope this helps, get that thing running so you can come up to East Wind and help us spy on the Russians and East Germans with it.
Thank you sir!!
The PRC 68 guys email bounces back. Do you by chance have a different email for him?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That isn't the one that requires liquid nitrogen is it? I have a case similar to that but larger, which says it is for a Dewar.

ONTOS66

Thank you sir!!
The PRC 68 guys email bounces back. Do you by chance have a different email for him?

Try this for contacting Brooke:

brooke95482@att.net

It worked last week.

I also have a couple of the 1st Generation NVD including this really heavy beast. I need to come up with a way to mount it on a tripod - since I don't have a .50 cal or a 106mm recoilless. (yet)

Crazyguyla

Chris,

how many knobs are on the TVS-2? If it's like a TVS-5 or PVS-4, there should be two knobs. One knob is for power/ brightness, the other knob is for contrast. The battery is a 3volt lithuim SO2, BA5567 battery. I haven't messed with something that old in years. was called a "starlight scope" for obvious reasons. the lower the ambient light, the less effective the scope was(that's why the objective end is so big). Don't opoerate it in a lite room with out the light shield over the end. Excessive light can damage the scope. I wish I was there to play with such an old toy. Can you post pictures of the battery compartment, the control knobs, and the objective lens?

Last edited:

antikbuff

Questions

Hello gentlemen,
I just registered on this site. I found one of these scopes today at a barn sale here in Ca. It's exactly like the one posted in this thread. Could use a little help in getting a value and what it use to be mounted on. Appreciate any responses.. Thank you, Dave

What era was this scope used ?

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These are early Gen 1 scopes and from Vietnam era. They were mounted on the M2 .50 cal and the 106mm recoiless rifle. Due to their age/size/gen, they're more of a novelty $300-400ish range.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks