• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guy had no idea CUCV's were common keyed

davidkroberts

funny story, a guy down the road from me had a really clean M1009 for sale. Mostly stock with worn Super Swamper 33's ( i think) but had a cleanly installed 350 and 12v conversion. Im normally not for a gas burning 12v but i was already there. Well anyway in the course of talking i jumped in the seat and pulled my set of keys out which had a CUCV key on the ring. I pushed it in the ignition switch and started it up. The guy couldnt understand how i had a key to his truck.....:lol:.

Well the 350 ran like a dream and it needs tires something terrible but im digging the alloy rims.

Pictures to come later

davidkroberts

good point doghead but im not too worried about this guy. People are pretty honest around here. Everybody knows everybody and im almost the only one around here who messes with MV's. If someone did grab one of my vehicles for a joy ride it would get back to me in a day or two to find out who it was......

3dubs

"APB be on the look out for a camouflage military Blazer..." It won't take long to spot. Around here most cops wave when I go by. A thief would be spotted fast. It would be a low speed chase!

tbearatkin

Oh MY GOSH Dave that means you still have a key to the blazer you sold me that means you can drive south and REPO it. What is a guy to do...

Course we all know most of us that were in the military and drove these things have extras laying around on the various key rings around the house. Kind of like a p-38 I dont leave home without one.

rnd-motorsports

It's only funny till the truck comes up missing (even as a joke ) then its not funny. :beer: that empty feeling you get in your gut when you find your truck gone not good! :( then you see your buddy around the corner busting his gut!!
then the thought of victom changes to criminal becouse you want to kill him!

Preacherboy

I really do think that all the 1980's GM products with the 2 separate keys for ignition and door where really only a hand full of different keys. I've ran across different folks, my sister's friends who locked their keys in their car and tried my truck key or someone else in the parking lot's key and without a doubt one would work.

Plus, 9 times out of 10 I'd walk around to the passenger door and it would be unlocked and the girl would say, "Wow, I guess I never thought of that!"

Westech

CPL
that is why I change all my locks and ignition key when I get a new CUCV. For around 25 bucks no one can just pop in a key and go.... I remember doing that to a couple of CUCV's at rally's over the years.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's pretty funny really.

If someone wants your vehicle - and I don't care WHAT vehicle we are talking about - it WILL get stolen.

Ask me why I know this. There is literally NOTHING you can do to stop a determined thief. I have had two different vehicles removed from my ownership without my permission. Both times I was living in Houston.

I guess my current set up with four large dogs and being a retired gunsmith makes my willingness to protect that which is mine somewhat unusual.

SPCHowe

that is why I change all my locks and ignition key when I get a new CUCV. For around 25 bucks no one can just pop in a key and go.... I remember doing that to a couple of CUCV's at rally's over the years.
One of the first things I did to my truck. I'd change the ignition lock but my steering wheel seems permanently attached aua

Fleg

Guy at Gov Liquidations in Nellis acted very surprised when I told him I already had a key to my 1009. I told him they were all keyed the same and he acted like it was the first time he had ever heard that and wanted to see me try to start it to prove it.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't anyone use the chain to steering wheel with padlock?
I thought they all came with one, but maybe I was just lucky.
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks