• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Typicle floor pan rust repair

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are performing a minor repair to the floor and rocker on the drivers side of a M1009 we are selling, this is a common area for rust and the pics show the step by step process to get it fixed up. I will post this procedure in 2 or 3 posts from start to finnish. this repair is doable at the hobby level and will add years of lif the the truck.:beer:

Attachments

linx310

Yea I just finished doing this to mine and with a floor liner you cant even tell it has been fixed.

What type of welder are you going to use? MIG?

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welder

We used a milermatic 180 wire feed mig welder, we use a argon c02 mix, this repair could be done with a 110v gasless welder though. in these pictures we have the rocker top fixed and now we will move onto the floor section repair.

Attachments

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wire size and continue repairs

.023 its whats on this welder, some of the others in the shop have .030, mild steel wire, we have good luck with both setups, I am not sure if I have a preferance or not.

The bigger patch requires a channel to hold the weatherstrip and floor drainage/wire routing so we used our bending brake to make a couple of profiles to match it up to the original configuration. :grd:

Thanks
Terry

Attachments

ODdave

Looks good but there is one lil problem that should be mentioned. In the second set of pics it looks as if you welded over the original metal as opposed to cuting it out? (mabye it isnt, i cant tell) a common problem with repairs on these trucks if the pinch weld that the weather strip hooks to isnt very close to its stock location the door will not shut properly. It is more of a problem in the lower rear portion, but i thought it was worth adressing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks