• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'Fallen Armor' Junkyard Dio

CharlesKing

I thought I'd put together a small dio that somewhat depicts armor fallen to IED's or heavy attacks which left them totally destroyed and unusable. I ad seen quite a few pics of badly damaged vehicles, beyond repairs just put into a heap or collected together and placed into a 'Junkyard' type for damaged vehicles. So this is my representation of such yards during the Iraqi War...

Many pics. This dio also shows my first attempts to model figures. Not the best but I am learning.

Attachments

Last edited:

CharlesKing

More pics

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is so cool. There's alot of stuff going on in that diorama. Would love to see your modeling room/basement!

CharlesKing

Absolutely fantastic. I have a dumb question, where did you find the models or did you make em from scratch?? :lost:
Thanks duffman. The truck up in front is an Italeri m923 which I modified and added the armor. The container to the side is also Italeri. The scrapped M977 is another Italeri modefied model. The flatbed on the ground was scratch built and so was the back engine compartment bay, which I built for the M1075 PLS Hemtt truck. The humvee is from Tamiya. Everything else is more or less odds and ends or small parts i got from my scrapbox.

Blood_of_Tyrants

My only criticism is the lack of fire damage, and bent/broken parts. Fire will initially be seen as smoke damage, burned paint, and then metal burned clean and heavily rusted. Also look at how tires burn (usually top down with lots of wires showing through black particles of burned rubber).

CharlesKing

My only criticism is the lack of fire damage, and bent/broken parts. Fire will initially be seen as smoke damage, burned paint, and then metal burned clean and heavily rusted. Also look at how tires burn (usually top down with lots of wires showing through black particles of burned rubber).
Thanks for your critism. Appreciate it. Although the vehicles were not meant to be represented as heavy fire damaged vehicles, I do understand your point. I'll probably incoporate it into my next dio or make a few modifications to this one. The vehicles were just meant to represent moderate damaged to the bodies. Also, most parts when removed from the point of orgin loss some of the burnt attributes.

Thanks again and I will take note of what you said.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job, IMHO. I think I made one model in my life, it was a Spitfire airplane, when I was 11 years old. Looked like a glob of glue and mis-assembled parts when it was done. I think I ended up using it as an ashtray, like most of my other shop projects in middle school.

Keep up the good work!

CharlesKing

Great job, IMHO. I think I made one model in my life, it was a Spitfire airplane, when I was 11 years old. Looked like a glob of glue and mis-assembled parts when it was done. I think I ended up using it as an ashtray, like most of my other shop projects in middle school.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Appreciate the comments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks