• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio installation question

landry1

i am putting in a radio and i am only concered about accidently hitting a 24 volt wire... which would be what i am trying to avoid. I am wondering if it is any different to install a radio in a normal 12 volt truck my cucv 24 volt. if you have already installed a radio please let me know anything to avoid or be aware of or any tips.

thanks!

48cj2a

Are you installing a 28v mil radio or a 12v civy radio?

You can tap 12v from the fuse box or 24v from the terminal block on the firewall.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto:the fuse block is a good 12 volt source check with volt meter and the terminal for 24 do not go to the rear bat it is the 24 volt the front battery controls all the truck functions and 12 volt

48cj2a

Anyone have any ideas what to do for the accessory power for an amp?
Depending upon the amperage pull, I'd probably go directly to the battery wiith a good inline fuse or breaker. Make sure to use a meter in ensure you have 12v, like mentioned above.

landry1

Are you installing a 28v mil radio or a 12v civy radio?

You can tap 12v from the fuse box or 24v from the terminal block on the firewall.
i am using a regular radio with recevier speakers and sub... nothing military just an average radio

landry1

:ditto:the fuse block is a good 12 volt source check with volt meter and the terminal for 24 do not go to the rear bat it is the 24 volt the front battery controls all the truck functions and 12 volt
um... i pretty sure each battery is 12volt... the rear has to 12volt becuase it has to be equal batteries...

are you sure about the rear being a 24volt???

48cj2a

As long as you pull a normal ground from the chassis and positive off either battery I would think you would get 12v but always confirm with a meter.

mistaken1

As long as you pull a normal ground from the chassis and positive off either battery I would think you would get 12v but always confirm with a meter.
In a stock system .....

Front battery positive to chassis ground = 12Vdc nominal

Rear battery negative to chassis ground = 12Vdc nominal

Rear battery positive to chassis ground = 24Vdc nominal

Last edited:

mistaken1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks