• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How big of a tire can you run on a two piece rim?

zak187

Hey guys, Ive been workin on MVs since I was about 12 (17 now) and im finaly building my own truck. I was wondering whats the largest tire you can run on a stock rim with the stock ride hight?

dilvoy

If you're talking about a Humvee, I have been told that you need a 3" lift to run 42" tall tires. I wasen't told the max width unfortunatly for this size tire to work without touching, but the first place that you will probably have contact is at the front footwell area when you make a sharp turn with the front suspension compressed.

zak187

damn I forgot to mention that it is a humvee. I was considering a 3 inch lift anyway, I just havent decide yet. Thanks man.

dilvoy

I've lifted the body of my Humvee three inches because I am installing a turbo diesel and the civi hummers got a one inch lift when this happened. Without any lift I would have had about 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the cowel and the top of my center intake manifold. I figured that three inches would be as easy as a one inch lift and I might want to install larger tires at some point, but I do have to have longer P/S and Hydroboost hoses made up. I went to place that sells all types of metal and found an aluminum dowell in the scrap pile and had them cut it to size and drill a hole in each of the six pieces. It cost me about $125. Then I bought longer bolts. The bolt that is at the left front position is the most difficult to deal with. you cant get away with a bolt that is extra long at this spot. I haven't make any lift brackets for the hood hinges yet, but they should be really easy and I also have to lengthen the fuel tank brackets. I have also raised the rear bumper to increase clearance. Be carefull when lifting the body as there is a built in flex point at the rear of the door/wheel well area. That slot is to allow for frame flex without damaging the aluminum body, so lift it slowly and carefully.

zak187

Hey thanks alot. Im strongly considering lifting mine. It really wont be a big deal at all as Im a machinist/tool and die maker and I have acess to everything. That and my body isnt on a frame yet, I dont even have a frame yet. So if anyone is sell or knows where to find one Id aprecaite it if you passed the word along.

You gonna put a duramax in your truck? I would love a 12v cummins in mine but thats not for a while yet.

dilvoy

If you do decide to install an duramax or cummins, I would suggest you buy a wrecked truck so you have the entire vehicle to take the needed parts from. You will need the computers and wire harness as well as instrument cluster and steering column if you want to have the benefit of the information center and cruise control and stuff like that. A guy just did a cummins conversion on a civi two door hard top and did a nice job. He had to lift the body four inches to have clearance for the tall cummins engine and not loose any ground clearance. The alpha Hummers are lifted two inches taller than the turbo Hummers and the turbo hummers are one inch higher than the NA hummers. The radiator/intercooler costs about $3,500 from AMG. The guy that did the cummins install bought an aftermarket intercooler and made it work. He is not sorry he did the conversion as he has way more powre, less noise and a part time four wheel drive transfer case to boot which is way stronger than the Hummer unit.

dilvoy

There's a rolling chassis with a duramax/allison sitting in it on e bay right now. Item 140014067107 It is located in Illinois. The duramax normally drops the exhaust on the right hand side so someone has done some of the work already.

zak187

i wonder what thats gonna go for. thanks for the heads up.

Any one know of any other humvee sites?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks