• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early M151 Question

Sarge29

I have been working on the restoration of an M151 and would like to be sure that I can get as much of it right as possible. My question is: What are the differences between the 151 and the 151A1?
Things I know about are:
A1 had turn signals and 151 didn't
A1 had a blackout light in the right rear fender and 151 didn't
A1 had a solid windshield and 151 had a split windshield
That is all I remember now, Pictures to follow

tjstricker

Hi All, Im just now begining to start my researtch for A M151.
I have found what I thaught would be the hardest thing the stencels !
but cant seem to find the right paint code for 1964 mutt I have
desided to go with the 1st special forces 5th gp vietnam war.
can some one help with this...?

Thank's
TJ

nattieleather

Here are a few things. M151 had different rims than the A1. The rims were magnesium not steel. They had slots in the rim instead of the holes. The front seats on the M151 had a screw to adjust the seat forward and backwards where as the later 151s had a two position seat. Either closer or father away. The Early 151s had a different cover on the oil bath air cleaner if I remember corretly. No turn signals as you stated. The rear tail lights would be like earlier jeeps with the stop brake light on the lefthand side and the black out stop light on the righthand side. Early 151s had differnt sheet metal around the axe holder.

@TJ 24087 would be the US Army color for a 1964 M151 and the stenciling would be semi-gloss white. I don't know of a paint code but you can get that paint at almost any place.

If I think of anything else I'll post.

txdodge43man

to ad to NATTIELEATHER's post the early M151's also had a smaller front bumper than the A1's or 2's the four wheel drive shift lever is difftant is not round more ovel shaped. the M151 does not have the cat eye blackout light over the passanger side rear tail light. i think the park brake handle is differant 2cents

mutt1966

There is a site dedicated to the M151's try g838.org or G503.com and go to M151 section there is a wealth of info not to mention the pictures, the biggest change was the beefing up of the rear suspension. Scott out

cstaup

The only solid windshield is for an A2. A1 and straight M151 both had split windshields.

There are many differences between the 3 as well as variations within the models and we can't forget motor pool mods.

Sarge29

The one I am working on is a USMC version. That makes things a little more difficult. I have the M4 gun mount, 524 and 442 radios and am planning on putting the AM598 with PRC 9 or 10 in it as well.
Thanks for all of the info.
Sarge29

nattieleather

Not trying to be difficult here, but I thought the Marines didn't go to the M151 until the A1s came out. They were using the M422 and M422A1 Mighty Mights when the straight 151s where in service no?

Sarge29

I know the Marines were different :cookoo: but the 151 that I have has the USMC rear lifting shackles that bolt on the corners and the USMC front bumper. I guess this was a later acquisition by the Corps. I have 2 of the USMC M422A1 Mighty Mites and I just figured that they just wound up with the M151 later. I do know they used the A1's. This is great info, keep it coming.
Thanks,
Sarge29

nattieleather

It's possible that the your M151 went from army life to marine life. It is also possible that when it went to USMC that it got the newer rims as there was a MWO (Modification Work Order) to upgrade the rims due to problems with the mag ones.

amishnotme

m151 underbody support kit or strethening kit

if your m151 underfloor is rusted like mine there,s supposed to be a strethening kit but I haven,t been able to find one tnjmurray won,t have any till end of dec. anyone know where else to find one?

Sarge29

I got lucky. The only rust was the floors where trash had gathered and got wet. This is an uncut, unmolested body and it is titled. I think it started as army and then went to the USMC as you said because of the bolted on rear corner lifting rings. It does have the steel rims.

majorhitt

The M151 had drain plugs in the front pan area the M151A1 has recessed cut outs. These drain plugs are not the easiest to find, if yours is missing.

Sarge29

Early M151

Here are a few shots of what I started with. Later I will upload a few of the 4 color camouflage that is going on it. It still needs a little work before the radio and M4 mount install but it is moving along. I am closing in on 2 years with this restore. The front floor replacement panels are not correct for the 151 because of the floor drain type but I will eventually get all of the little details worked out.

Attachments

rickf

Sarge, It looks like a lot of rust on the rear floor, I would seriously check out the rails under that. It looks like you are missing some of the rear seat hardware. 1964 was a transition year from the 151 to the A1 so there could be traces of both. Do you have the oval, pop out floor drains? Some 151's also had two cowl vents. Why would you want to paint it four color camo? It seems to me that you are looking to make it all original and a 64 would never have been camo'd. The standard color for a mutt in 64 was 24086. If you have the lifting brackets on the rear corners you definitely want to remove them and address the rust that will surely be there. The air cleaner cover was different for the early 151, it was a smooth top instead of embossed. I can tell you that if you go to the G838.org you will find all you ever needed to know about mutts. The site is dedicated to that vehicle only.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks