• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signal/flasher problem

andybritt2002

Its starting to get cooler out and my flashers just started working agian. Just trying to figure out what may be going on..

the flashers work when temp outside is below 45-50 degrees and don't when its above that. It may sound crazy but this is true!

Ive been kinda holding off on this issue since I dont drive it much and we are still having some 60-70 degree days. good time to troubleshoot a little bit. I searched and found a bunch of stuff about bad grounds and such but it really seems 100% temp related. Is it a possible bad flasher module in the engine compartment?

Kohburn

overheating flasher module could do it but I think it would work temporarily until it got too hot.

andybritt2002

right now since its not too cold yet .. it works for a little bit then quits. I thought it was because of the engine warming up and increasing the temp in there above what it seems to work at. in the winter it never quits.

Jake0147

Check your grounds anyhow, even though you don't suspect it.
Just as "electronic modules", "electrical modules", circuit boards, chips, and electronic components in general can be temperature sensitive, so can a weak ground. When they're on the hairy edge of conducting "well enough" or not, the expansion and contraction of the components can make a difference. Same with the metal, the oxidation, and the fastener in a ground circuit path.

Are you having an issue with the flashers AND the blinkers (the hazard lights AND the directional lights) or just one function or the other? Not sure by your wording, but you might investigate the ground that happens at the turn signal switch via the band clamp that mounts it to the painted (probably multi-layered painted) steering column, which in turn is bolted to a multi-layered painted dash panel and a multi layered painted frame rail.
If you've got a test light, bad grounds are easy to nail when they're acting up. What you think should be a ground lights up as positive. Very tough to troubleshoot when they're actually working, because all voltages are within an acceptable operating range AT THE TIME you are looking at it.

Freight Dog

Hi Andy,
You described my M35A3 flasher perfectly. I removed it and tried to clean the grounds but that didn't help.
There is definitely a temperature relationship. Inversely proportional. Greater Temp= Less Reliable!
I found a new flasher available at, Integrated Parts Systems for $38.00.
I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and order one. Hope it works.
I'm to old and weak to keep rolling that window down every time I need to make a hand signal turn.
Besides, living here in Minnesota, I'd have hypothermia in the first 10 miles.
Good thread! Thanks,
Freight Dog

andybritt2002

Check your grounds anyhow, even though you don't suspect it.
Just as "electronic modules", "electrical modules", circuit boards, chips, and electronic components in general can be temperature sensitive, so can a weak ground. When they're on the hairy edge of conducting "well enough" or not, the expansion and contraction of the components can make a difference. Same with the metal, the oxidation, and the fastener in a ground circuit path.

Are you having an issue with the flashers AND the blinkers (the hazard lights AND the directional lights) or just one function or the other? Not sure by your wording, but you might investigate the ground that happens at the turn signal switch via the band clamp that mounts it to the painted (probably multi-layered painted) steering column, which in turn is bolted to a multi-layered painted dash panel and a multi layered painted frame rail.
If you've got a test light, bad grounds are easy to nail when they're acting up. What you think should be a ground lights up as positive. Very tough to troubleshoot when they're actually working, because all voltages are within an acceptable operating range AT THE TIME you are looking at it.
Yes, forgot to add hazards and blinkers aren't working. When it does operate..both work. I didn't think the hand lever control was messed up because it would light up, but the green light just stays solid. I've got some time off coming thanks to the holidays so will be getting out there to go over the grounds, I do have a test light.

andybritt2002

Hi Andy,
You described my M35A3 flasher perfectly. I removed it and tried to clean the grounds but that didn't help.
There is definitely a temperature relationship. Inversely proportional. Greater Temp= Less Reliable!
I found a new flasher available at, Integrated Parts Systems for $38.00.
I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and order one. Hope it works.
I'm to old and weak to keep rolling that window down every time I need to make a hand signal turn.
Besides, living here in Minnesota, I'd have hypothermia in the first 10 miles.
Good thread! Thanks,
Freight Dog
I have a funny feeling its going to be module related. 38 isn't as bad as one price I saw...thought I saw 70+ some time back..yeah your winters are going to be rough! Wish I had the cash for an A3...how do you like it? I'm in way too many projects right now to get one unfortunatley. A mud truck with 52in michelins/rockwells. And a 3500 ram I sled pull with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks