• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins, NV4500, Hydro-boost, and Disc Brakes

tm america

Nice job...looks like you and your wallet have been working overtime...I can't wait to see the finished project...it will be cool to see what you do with all to see what you do for all the small details

mudguppy

Very nice work. Have you done any mods to the Cummins ...?
yes - the Cummins and donor Dodge was the primary project truck for a while, so the engine was recently rebuilt (0.040" over); probably less than 1000 miles on 'er. pretty basic 12v mods for now: 0.012" injectors, 4k rpm springs, lots of AFC mods, 16.5° timing. i've got around 325-350hp worth of fuel, but only about 300hp worth of air to cool it, so EGTs get high quick.

the stock hx35 is in great shape, so i plan on a basic towing twin setup in the future for a cool 400hp. besides, i really can't go over 450 w/o springing for a new clutch.

Nice job...looks like you and your wallet have been working overtime...
thanks. to date, the disc brakes and electric fans were the only major dollar items. everything else is reasonably priced (ebay, mostly)... but there's a bunch of that kind of stuff, so it adds up.

oh, and the $400 custom jack shaft...... that hurt. aua

Amazing project. Glad to see it went together smoothly.
some things went together incredibly smoothly. most of the major items that i thought would be a nightmare have gone relatively smooth, and now the 'small' things are killing me.

and i ain't doin' a victory dance just yet - we haven't had a road test.

Burgerboy13

Do you think that the disk brake kit that you used would be a good choice for a regular 6X6? Or does the third axle complicate things?

mudguppy

Do you think that the disk brake kit that you used would be a good choice for a regular 6X6? Or does the third axle complicate things?
i don't think it would complicate things, but i think i'd choose a different master cylinder. with tandem rears, a hydromax master cylinder designed for tandem rears would be more suitable. i guess it wouldn't much matter if you used a single circuit system. (i've got an adjustable proportioning valve in my rear circuit)

the question you have to ask is "Is it worth it?" i think it depends what you want out of the truck to determine if it's a 'good choice.' for me it is, because i have very large tires and i desire high braking performance.

1000$ per axle for the brakes. ouch
more than that - Steve doesn't have the heavy duty prices on his site. but, self-adjusting, better than 26k lb components, and exponentially better failure mode analysis, and all pre-machined and assembled... worth it in my book.

i'll be giving updates on braking performance and handling soon........ i hope real soon.

That thing is amazing. Where are you in Greenville?
i'm actually on the Gnvl/Spart border - Greer/Duncan line.

Kohburn

yeah I saw that the ones on the website said they could fit into 15" wheels when your rotors are 15"

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you have the time , it would help if you explained the choice of tranny. I always thought the Deuce's was a tough one. I know the nv4500 is smooth shifting but has problems, right or wrong. This is a great build project!
Thanks for taking the time. Ron

top speed? um, well, the rpm spreadsheet i put together calculates 126 mph at 4000 engine rpm. i won't be trying that.

will do on the rest of the data. [thumbzup]
*GASP* could it be? The worlds fastest DRAG DEUCE :drool::twisted::drool::twisted::drool::twisted:

That would really be a sight to see, I myself would have a really hard time trying to not test that theory :oops:

Great build thread though, cant wait to see the rest, and I think I speak for the others when I say you NEED to post some videos once you get her on the road again

Last edited:

Flat Black

awesome build, not much i would have done differently.

hope you tabbed the KDP on that 12 valve before you put it in..

looking forward to seeing this done and might be in Greenville this coming weekend if you are around after the holiday.

mudguppy

Video of it running??? :drool:
not yet. i've never actually posted a vid, so i need to figure that out...

... hope you tabbed the KDP on that 12 valve before you put it in...

looking forward to seeing this done and might be in Greenville this coming weekend if you are around after the holiday.
good catch - yes, it's been tabbed. i will be around this weekend.

When you have the time , it would help if you explained the choice of tranny. I always thought the Deuce's was a tough one. I know the nv4500 is smooth shifting but has problems, right or wrong. ...
well, it was absolutely the most convenient since it was already bolted behind the Cummins. however, the actual tranny in the truck is a rebuilt unit.

i mainly had to choose the NV4500 - nothing else would fit (that has the capacity/strength) without relocating the transfer rearward, which is tough to do... let alone tough to do in a bob'er.

the Spicer is only 19" long from clutch housing to output flange. there is nothing that comes near those dimensions, including a 2wd NV4500 in a Dodge. the Dodges use a slip-yoke tail housing with adds 13" in length. i had my trans built in a custom configuration to make it as short as possible: he used a 6" fixed yoke GM tail housing and a 1410 yoke. in this configuration, the NV' is actually ~3" longer after you factor in the engine adapter differences. but the 5.9 is much shorter. the way the engine/trans sits now, i still have that ~3" between the head and firewall, but the trans output is about where the Spicer output originally was and i can't get a jackshaft much small that the one i have now.

the only problems the NV4500 has in stock form is the 5th gear retaining nut. however, in the fixed yoke units, the yoke is physically clamping 5th gear onto the mainshaft, so there is no 5th gear retaining nut or issue.

i had him put in an upgraded input - that's the only weak link in this trans when it comes to strength - and in reality, that's only needed when you are approaching 500hp and up. i didn't do the 1 3/8" input shaft because i would have had to get a new clutch and the one i have is brand new, so i stuck w/ the 1 1/4" size.

the gear ratios are almost identical to the Spicer except OD is a much nicer 0.73 ratio. it has a similar 3rd - 4th gap, but i've got way more rpm out of the Cummins than what the MF was used to, so there is actually plenty of overlap.

and, my deuce weighs 11k lbs - the trans is rated for 16k. however, since this trans has been proven behind high HP pulling trucks and drag trucks, i have little concern of it breaking on me.

come to think of it, i probably shed 500 lbs from the engine swap...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks