• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins, NV4500, Hydro-boost, and Disc Brakes

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, good information on the transmission, seems you fixed all the issues. Now how about that hydro. winch? the PTO couldn't work , I'm guessing you would need a PTO for nv4500 and not a divorced one since it's a bobbed truck

How big of a deal is it to convert to hydraulics. What pump would you tap into or have it's own. This is alot of fun for all of us, Thanks again

mudguppy

Thanks, good information on the transmission, seems you fixed all the issues. Now how about that hydro. winch? the PTO couldn't work , I'm guessing you would need a PTO for nv4500 and not a divorced one since it's a bobbed truck

How big of a deal is it to convert to hydraulics. What pump would you tap into or have it's own. This is alot of fun for all of us, Thanks again
i actually had a couple different options on the winch. the first option is to keep it mechanical. there is a reversible PTO drive available for the NV4500 that would work almost exactly like the OE setup. it isn't a 2-spd unit in forward, but the ratios were similar in low and reverse.

i'm not really a fan of the mechanical setup. but, when i really looked at how i was going to mount the engine i realized that the motor mounts would likely be right in the way of where the driveshaft would go. so the driver's side motor mount would get very elaborate, or .... go hydraulic.

hydraulic is the best of all worlds. originally i planned to use a pump and motor from Northern Tool. i had a buddy of mine who designs hydraulic PTO and drive systems for a living build me a spreadsheet to help calculate what parts to match to meet the performance specs.

so i had planned to use Muncie PTO adapter TG6S-N7918-C1LI on the trans, Norther Tool pump 10585 and motor 1042. i used the spreadsheet to calculate the performance specs of the OE mechanical PTO winch, and then put in the pump and motor values until i found a combo that will match the PTO winch.

however, recently i found a deal that i couldn't resist - 'A3 hydraulic winch conversion parts (from Justin). so i have the hydraulic motor stand and Parker hydraulic motor 113A-106-AS-0. i researched the specs of this motor and verified that it, also, would work well with the pump i originally spec'd and would also meet the performance of the PTO winch.

however, when talking with the Muncie rep, he talked me into using a different pump that would actually perform a little better: PKS15-02BPBB mated to adapter TG6S-N7918-A1SH (which is air-shifted).

i also decided that since i plan to add a second hydro-converted winch in the rear that i might as well use a two-spool valve and selected Prince RD523CCAA5A4B1.

the only thing i don't have yet is the PTO adapter and pump. well, and hoses. but that should be a real fun project.

however, i really need to stay disciplined and resist spending time on this until i have everything else completed with the engine/trans swap (guages, air compressor, etc.).

too much to do!!!!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very well thought out plans, but you're right stay on the engine swap and get it done right. That's my biggest fault, well one of my biggest, I start too many projects at one time.
Good luck, but I don't think you really need luck, you've got it spot on now. Keep us posted

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck and a well designed project. I can't wait to see video of it going down the road. :driver:

ALFA2

Great step by step, and one of the fastest builds in one big pass so far. Your solutions and upgrades seem well thought out, use available parts, and most will apply to a Deuce in any combination.
The disc breaks are the ones that would be interesting to see the feel-able improvement in use, once you get to testing that part.

Thanks for a great writeup.

ALFA2

mudguppy

UPDATE:

she moved under her own power today!!!!

ok ok, at first it was only about 5 feet. Flat Black and a buddy of his drove up to check out and chit-the-chat. it was great to meet them both! but while they were there i fired her up and did some back and forth brake check in the drive.

the brakes seemed quite solid. after Flat & Co. left i wanted to get it off of the drive (so i could park in 'my' spot again) so i was going to pull it forward onto the grass

.... but i couldn't resist: i took it down the street and around the cul-de-sac a couple times. pretty sweet!

already i could tell that my power steering pump upgrade is definitely going to be paying off - this pump seems to flow much better than the other. of course, the other was likely too under-driven.

power - well, that seems like that's going to be fun!

brakes - wow. i mean i haven't really gotten to drive it, but a quick jaunt down the road and ... wow. smooth pedal engagement with about 20% of the required effort. no panic stops yet. i have to dial in the rear proportion, anyway. later.

i only drove it for a minute - i don't have an alternator which means i don't have a serpentine belt on which means i don't have a water pump running.

man i need that alternator!!! :deadhorse:

we'll get there.

thanks for all the kind words and support!

Flat Black

Well, as Travis said I came up Saturday with a buddy and we hung out for a few hours with him and his dad. The truck is well built and looks much cooler in person than in the pics. The proportions are correct even with the short bed and huge tires and the Cummins motor fits perfectly in the engine bay. He should have no trouble turning the 52s on the road now that there is a real diesel engine under the hood.

Now I need one with some creature comforts for daily use in Atlanta traffic. :D

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news! It's always a good feeling to test drive something you spent time building. But, I would think you have plenty to do yet while waiting for the alternator. A working water pump is high on the list, before you run into town with it for a six pack :D. Keep at it and keep us updated.

Capt.Marion

For a video, just upload it onto YouTube and post the link. That's the simplest thing to do. If I'm not mistaken, the site (SS.com) will automatically embed the YouTube video.

mudguppy

great build hows she run?
starts and idles great! :lol:

... But, I would think you have plenty to do yet while waiting for the alternator. ...
yes, you are quite right. today i scratched a few minor things off of the never-ending loose-ends list:
  • new shifter hole in the trans cover plate
  • new trans shifter
  • re-adjusted throttle linkage; too twitchy and the idle pedal position was too high.

For a video, just upload it onto YouTube and post the link. That's the simplest thing to do. If I'm not mistaken, the site (SS.com) will automatically embed the YouTube video.
yeah, that's probably the easiest. thx.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks