• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a rod bolt they could loan me or know their measurements?

JasonS

It'd be great if you could quantify the strength improvement of your rod bolt kit and include a one-piece pan gasket. Should sell itself.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to make a delivery Tuesday. When I'm there I'll see if I can zing off an oil pan and snatch a rod bolt. I have one rod at home but it's a little worse for wear as it was tossed from a multifuel.

Westech

CPL
Pat.. I already wend down that road with ARP.... Cost to made them made is just too high. Your talking $25 plus per bolt and that is with a Very large order.
I did find a Company that does have new rod bolts but at $42.50 each I said no. Your best bet is NOT going to ARP but finding a local shop to make them.
I am working with a local place but the bolt is no POS.. there going to be VERY expensive.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy,
What do you consider a large order? I've got eight engines that I would tear into and replace the bolts, just for peace of mind. 8 x 12 = 96 bolts, and that's just me. (Yes, I'd have to swear off GL for six months or a little more, but it should be a one shot deal!)

Westech

CPL
The killer deal with this bolt is its a "stepped" bolt.. the threads are a larger diameter then the bolt.. there is a TON of work to make one... My friend runs he 2ed shift of a place that makes PTO shafts, motor shafts, all that kind stuff and he said it would take a CNC a while to make one bolt. He said the set up time would not be bad, would be one reset per bolt. But there would be a lot of man hours. you would have to man the CNC 100% and not leave it. By the time you walked away and started something else it would be time for the reset.

Autocar

We have a lot of bolts custom made for us by ARP. You generally need to make at least a couple thousand to get the price to a reasonable point.

JDToumanian

Did ARP do a destructive test on a multi rod bolt? I would be interested in their analysis of them, maybe it's a design issue, not a quality issue? It would suck to order 500+ bolts and have them be no better than what can be found NOS on the surplus market.

Assuming ARP's bolts made to the original multi design WOULD be significantly better, then considering a larger order is probably the way to go. Personally I don't think you'd have any trouble selling 500, but if the price per bolt could be lowered by ordering a few thousand, something to consider would be shopping the idea around to some of the big MV suppliers...... Maybe White Owl or even Saturn Surplus would like in on the deal. Something to consider anyway.

Jon

AMX

The killer deal with this bolt is its a "stepped" bolt.. the threads are a larger diameter then the bolt.. there is a TON of work to make one... My friend runs he 2ed shift of a place that makes PTO shafts, motor shafts, all that kind stuff and he said it would take a CNC a while to make one bolt. He said the set up time would not be bad, would be one reset per bolt. But there would be a lot of man hours. you would have to man the CNC 100% and not leave it. By the time you walked away and started something else it would be time for the reset.
I would think they would hot forge the blank, centerless grind it then roll the threads. Not as labor intesive as standing by a cnc continually.2cents

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We have a lot of bolts custom made for us by ARP. You generally need to make at least a couple thousand to get the price to a reasonable point.

How do you get anywhere with them? They are giving patracy no love. Do you have an inside contact, or at least a salesperson you regularly deal with?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks