• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LCM 6 Info wanted, Landing Craft

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've got your hands full that's for sure. There are not going to be alot of places where you can get 'ready made parts' for the LCM-6. You need also to find out about when yours was built, maybe the yard that built it like Webbers Cove Boat Works, Silverships, etc. There was some difference in contracts. There should be a serial number welded on the stern that will help track this as per the contract and builder. The Navy used to hold a directory on microfishe of its small craft at the shipyard in New Hampshire, but when it closed, they packed the stuff off to a repository affiliated with a university in North Carolina or somewhere and now it costs money and alot more time to track serial numbers.
The plans for that contract exist somewhere and alot of the stuff you need can fairly easily be manufactured locally or even custom cast if needed. Your ramp looks to be a complete fabrication and possibly only the hinges are original. Its hard to tell from your pictures. But post some more of the parts of the boat you're interested in knowing more about and we'll help all we can.
There used to be a WWII LCM-3 up here and last year without telling anyone they hauled it to a scrap yard who cut it in pieces quickly, it was nearly original, a sort of marine contractor had used it for a few years, after getting it from another contractor who got out of the business. There is an older LCM-6 in this area working as a tanker to the islands. Our three are LCM-8's and no joy there for your project. Looking forward to seeing yours redone.

Jmahoney266

Some of the information I have obtained is based on the hull # 50WB8413 was that it is actually a LCM-3. This vessel is 50' and the LMC-6 is slightly longer at 56'. It was built for the Navy in 1985 by Marinette Marine Corp. MMC is no longer operating and all the old build documents are not available. I do not intend to return it back to strictly a landing craft but would like to incorperate it's naval history and some of the structural characteristics of the vessel during it's service. I have to do some work on the original rudder and drive parts. The forward ramp has been welded shut and the helm, galley and below deck has had some domestic improvements for liveaboard/recreational cruising purposes. She is currently operational with a pair of Detroit Diesel 871N's. When built, I believe that 671's were installed.

cbear

50WB8413 indicates that it's the 13th 50' work boat built in 1984. Even though they resemble LCMs, I'm pretty sure work boats don't have an actual bow ramp.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cbear is right, your boat was never intended to be an LCM. It was built as a shipyard/naval station work boat. They quit building LCM-3's after WWII. Your boat had no ramp, the open end of the well deck was boxed in and the deck covered over. And Andrew H is also right, Marinette Marine is still in business in Marinette Wisconsin. You may be thinking of the aluminum cruisers built in Kentucky, Marinette, I have one and they are no longer building thanks to the excise tax they placed on "pleasure boats" to help pay for people that vote for a living.
Marinette Marine does in fact have archives, so it might be to your best interest to locate a set of plans, but she spent her life in the Navy pushing things around like a small tug is all. I'll send that serial number to a friend in California and see what he says. He's got all sorts of documentation on who, what, when and where when it comes to old military boats. I'll let you know. Sorry about it not being a "war boat"

Jmahoney266

What I have is LCM3 50' hull # 50WB8413 Built by Marinette Marine Corp in 1985. Marinette does not have documents going back to 1985 anymore. Even though she did not see overseas action, I would still like to have some of her history on board. Thanks for your tips on info.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Dogs Run Free Why Can't We

Man, boating has been in my blood all my life...just recently caught the green fever and now the two may be joining forces to eliminate my pocketbook altogether. When I was a kid we basically lived at the marina all summer and a group of guys had what I believed now be a DUKW(memory isn't 100%, will ask the old man for his recollection) I always thought it was the stuff.
Freedom's just Another Word/
For Nothing Left to Lose

janis.jpg

Captain todd

I know this is an old thread but I just found it , I run an 1969 lcm 6 for work I have the records for it but the problem I'm having is finding oil filters for it is there an adapter to make it spin on filters? I also have lots of info about it ie. Blueprints and the old service records and such . I believe it's untouched as far as modified and can give pics for who might need them . Thanks any help would be great

AndrewH

As far as filters are concerned, the one I take care of has remote filters and they are just simple spin on ones. They are not originals. The WIX website has a pretty good filter cross reference. Do you have the 6-71's? Detroit diesel made the remote kit used on the boat here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks