• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a Bombadier Iltis

davidkroberts

I was cruising around ebay last night just watching to see what was on sale. I saw a running , driving , starting, stopping Iltis with 52,000 km for sale at a very decent price. I cant wait to go get it ,or I might just get it shipped who knows. Anyone around Fargo North Dakota?

Attachments

davidkroberts

i think 2010 is the year they were finally able to be imported into the US as an antique. The EPA guidelines for import are void at 25 years. Hopefully we may see a few more in the years to come. Good timing too as the Pinzgauers and Unimog supply seem to be drying up if not outright disappearing.

I know its a bit wierd but ive always leaned toward to more odd military trucks. If it gets good gas mielage it might end up being a daily driver who knows. Im happy with the M1009 but change is good.[thumbzup]

Alredneck

Banned
Always thought those were pretty cool! Wondered how well put together they were also. Parts availablity. Pretty sweet! As for ND hit me up I got to be in SD to pick up a truck but wont be able to fit it in the schedule to mid Dec.ish!

PorscheTech911

I've always really liked the Iltis. Congrats on the purchase! Your gonna have to post up some more pictures and videos of it, once you get it home. I'm really excited for them to start being imported to the USA next year. I might sell my bike for one... maybe.

davidkroberts

actually wolf. it is stock as it sits. This is a linesman model with a working tailgate. The reason its different is this is a Bombadier model which is the later model Canadian Military model with the 1.7 liter gas motor. This truck is made by Bombadier not VW. In the early 80's VW sold the design and tooling to Bombadier.

Wolf.Dose

davidkroberts,
I know that VW sold the tooling and the complete assembly to Bombadier. I did read this in the early 80's is Soldat und Technik und in Wehrtechnik. And when VW sold that and the price Canada paid for the Iltis, the German Army got two+ for one (Some 8800 DM vers some 36000 C$). The price was mentioned in the magazines mentioned above. So the Canadian Iltis have the same weeknesses as the German ones with the 1.7 l gas engine, for they are 100% identical. And the Iltis is nothing more than a slightly modernized Munga, which Audi and VW nowadays excuses and recognizes. Beside that, a friend of mine had an Iltis, which he used fore some 6 years in BC, Canada, originally from VW with improvements produced by the prototype shop of VW in Wolfsburg. I personally know the Meister (craftsman mastership, a title you do not have in the states) who made these parts for the improvement.
By that time the Bundeswehr could have had the "Wolf" Mercedes Benz G allready, however, by some political decisions the Audi Iltis made it. 10 years later the Wolf was introduced and bought for the Army. The Iltis became surplus, even the versions built after 1980 with the Diesel engine and 17 didged VIN.
Wolf

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

actually wolf. it is stock as it sits. This is a linesman model with a working tailgate. The reason its different is this is a Bombadier model which is the later model Canadian Military model with the 1.7 liter gas motor. This truck is made by Bombadier not VW. In the early 80's VW sold the design and tooling to Bombadier.

BINGO! Give the man a cigar! That one saw a few bumps and scrapes. SuperDave or WPNS421 would be the best guys to talk to about parts.

That one was made in Canada by Bombardier.

I was not overly fond of them as a tactical vehicle, as they overheated easily(like any Volkwagen), the Electric fan was not a good stealth idea and they did not like climbing steep hills in the forward orientation.

But they did take one heck of a beating. My troops had to try really hard to kill them.

As a footnote, when our crews took them over to Afghanistan, they proved to be excellent for the narrow roads and paths, and they went places where the HMMVW was just too fat to go.

Due to the low power, an armour package on this little skunk just wasn't possible.

Ask Wolf, he will tell you what ILTIS means in English.

All in all, a fun truck, and not bad when used within it's capabilities.

Superdave

Yes you can PM me if you need any parts or info on it. Here is some pictures of mine that I restored earlier this year and some parts units.

Attachments

niferous

Out of curiosity could a VW 1.9 Turbo Diesel fit in the engine compartment? I see you mentioned that the 1.7 gasoline motor it used was a weak link so that could be an option. Especially since you can get one out of a late 1998 Jetta and juice it to where it has a very respectable amount of power.

davidkroberts

thanks superdave for setting the bar so high.....:lol:

here i was thinking i was going to have the only one around here. That is a great looking restore one of the better ones i have seen around.

Alredneck

Banned
Man, ODD, UGLY, and COOL all at the same time!

THem rigs come with locking diffs by chance! Think it would make a cool rig for getting around in the desert. I like the TDI conversion idea!

B3.3T

They do have diff locks. The biggest problem with the Ilitis off-road is the very tiny acent and decent angles; the overhang front and rear. They get hung up on almost everything. We have had 4 VW and one Bombardier. Great on the highway though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks