• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge Plate/Weight Classification

fordlotus

Wrecker question

This may be a silly question for some of you, but does a wrecker have any pivoting capabilities with it's boom? It is only the crane trucks that can pivot to the side and the wrecker only extend to the rear? I was looking at removing the dump bed off one of the 5 tons and mounting a wrecker bed in it's place. This seems like it would be a pretty painless procedure and would sure help a lot more with moving things around. Any input would be appriciated. Also, I'm still looking for a 4651a multifuel for that 5 ton.

_Thanks,

JDToumanian

Yup... wreckers can rotate. I even thought of powering the wrecker's hydraulic pump with an electric motor (temporarily) so that the wrecker could be used to perform it's own engine swap. 8)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as rotation goes, the M60, M108 and M62 can rotate 360°. M543 and M816 pretty sure are limited to 270°. Don't know about the M246 and M819.

houdel

Recovry4x4 said:
There is an appendix in the rear that lists trucks, trailers and combinations of same.
Correct as usual Kenny. Right there in FM5-36, Appendix C-3, Wheeled Vehicles, Truck Cargo M35A2, empty Class 6, fully loaded cross country class 8, fully loaded highway class 11.

77 AMG

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the archives, but, HOW do you change the numbers on the plate itself? Mine are all turned "in" so that you cannot read them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The top semi oval piece slides off. When that is off; the individual number layers come off. arrange to your satisfaction and put the top piece back on. Usually it has a C on it for combined weight with a trailer.

Rix52m37

SO speaking of bridge plates. I would like to find the PS magazine issue with this info page. I want to get a high resolution copy or PDF of it so I can print it out and display it with my truck at shows. I think lots of people are interested in markings and most folks don't realize that bridge plates are more than just axle counts or weights. ps192_p38_39_Bridge_Plates.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
<< According to TM 9-2320-209-10-1
VEHICLE /BRIDGE CLASSIFICATION.

E - Class number of vehicle with no payload.
C - Class number of vehicle with cross-country payload.
H - Class number of vehicle with highway payload.

For a M35A2
E - 6
C - 8
H - 11
While the above is correct, I believe it is worthy of further explanation.... The bridge weight classification system is quiet complicated, varying for wheeled vehicles, tracked vehicles, spacing of axles, speed and number of lanes. I have several manuals on this subject, if anyone wants specifics, let my know and I'll try to supply them.
If you are ever on an active installation, you can note that bridges have classification numbers assigned to them. I say numbers, because there is one for tracked vehicles and one for wheeled vehicles. These can be seen at Ft. Campbell, Ft. Knox, and Ft. Riley, as well as others.
Similarly, vehicles have bridge weight classification numbers assigned to them, and each vehicles classification is listed in a number of manuals. And while there is often a direct relationship between the vehicles gross weight at the class number, it can occasionally vary due to, among other factors, speed and axle spacing. As examples, the M125 truck, with a weight empty of 14.39 tons, carries an empty bridge classification of 12, while a certain
wheeled tractor with a weight of 21.2 tons has a bridge class of 33.
The bridge weight classification numbers mounted on the front of Post-WWII US
military vehicles are as a rule changeable, and when properly operated they are changed, as noted above, depending upon how the vehicle is operated and loaded. The numerals should be changed depending upon load, further, the top plate has a red "C" on its flip side. When a vehicle is being used as a prime mover, that plate should be flipped and the numbers changed to reflect the COMBINATION bridge weight classification of the lash up. When the trailer is disconnected, the "C" should be hidden.
To make this even more difficult, you don't just add the weights, or even bridge classifications, to yield the COMBINATION bridge classification (remember axle spacing, etc., enters into this). As an example:
M270 low bed trailer empty weight 8.75 tons bridge classification 8
M246 tractor wrecker empty weight 16.42 tons bridge weight classification 15
Combination weight M246/M270 25.17 tons Combination weight classification 19
All of the above numbers are from TB 746-93-1,

View attachment gta 05-07-013 bridge plate.pdf

Guyfang

Staff member
SO speaking of bridge plates. I would like to find the PS magazine issue with this info page. I want to get a high resolution copy or PDF of it so I can print it out and display it with my truck at shows. I think lots of people are interested in markings and most folks don't realize that bridge plates are more than just axle counts or weights. View attachment 766216
From the Referances made to Connie, and the helmets and gear, I would say it's late 60's or 70's. PS is on line, I might try looking through a few in the morning. It Fathers Day here in Germany. Need to fire up the grill and have the kids and Grand son over. But will try tomorrow. I love to read them!

Rix52m37

Thanks for the help ! Going to print it out and make a poster to display with my truck . Maybe help folks take the "mystery" out of bridge plates.

Guyfang

Staff member
Greetings folks,

I just found in a scrap pile two almost complete sets of yellow weight classification plates, and one set of green (cammo) plates. If someone wants them, they are free of charge. The only thing I want, is for who ever wants them, to pay my postage, from Germany. And I don't want the money, you need to send it to the Chaplin, for his slush fund. It can't be much, but I don't do PayPal, and for me to cash a check from the states, is about on par with changing the first amendment. Ain't gonna happen. I will probably have to send it though the German mail, since we retired soldiers can only send or receive 16 ounces at an APO post box. So send me a PM, and we can work it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks