• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead relay mod on my M1028

The G Man

None yet War WARWAG. It just has a large knob you turn by hand to disconnect the connection at the Negative after it comoes off the bolt on terminal. I picked it up at AutoZone for about 6 bucks. I put them on all my older (project) vehicles. Its cheapinsurance, saw a buddy of mine fry a nice ride because of bad fuse block and could get it disconnected fast enuff. I plan on posting some picks of mine when get a decent day here. I modified Fiberglass rack from a M105 to fit it. Looks pretty decent.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My aluminum bracket hat 3 relays, the silver one is the starter relay but what are the other 2 for? Thanks.

They are the 24v relay and the voltmeter relay!!!!!

Last edited:

sixb

UHHGGGG.....This has been covered SOOOOOO many times. And with pictures!!!!!!

They are the 24v relay and the voltmeter relay!!!!!
Wow thanks for the info. It's kinda hard to search when you don't know what there called. You should probably step away from the puter and have a cold beer.:beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

duramaxdiesel1

im going to be doing this mod on my m1008a1 since i had this problem about 3 years ago. so far the chinese gm starter relay i bought is suprisingly still working. but definatelt need to change that before any major problems. thanks to all that make this sight possible.:driver:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA, or any auto parts chain store.

Read the sticky.

Sezzo

Thanks for this thread and greetings from Germany!

Does anyone know if i can get this starter relay in Germany?
I searched online so long and couldn't find any offer.

Would be great to hear from you!

Sezzo

MarcusOReallyus

I have no clue about what's available in Germany, but it does not have to be the exact part number. I will risk getting doghead upset and tell you that any relay that will meet the specifications will get the job done. Our member antennaclimber measured the current draw through that relay at 9 amps.

Almost any good quality 40 amp relay should be just fine. Right here is where antennaclimber describes the one he used.

:beer:

Sezzo

Ok, thanks! :) To be honest I would like to use dogheads pics to lead me through the installation - unfortunately I‘m not a very talented electrician. Shame on me. Just the copy and paste thing ;)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay I recommended in the modification is rated for 200 amps. It costs no more for this type of relay rated for 100 to 200 amps(so I picked the highest rated relay for the same price and package size).

The original relay is rated for 30 amps.

The current draw mentioned by Karl was under normal operating conditions. It is when abnormal operating conditions occur(like one battery or both are partly discharged), that the relay sees higher amps.

The relay I recommend mechanically functions differently than the original(that sticks on when overloaded because the "spring" that opens the contacts is also a conductor and when it heats up from an overload, it looses it's ability to act as a spring.)

Use anything you like, but now you know what I choose, and why.

The design of the relay is what is important.

Last edited:

Sezzo

Thanks guys! Maybe I can find an US based buyer who can ship the relay to my location.
In this case I can use dogheads description and everything will be fine (I hope) :)

Happy new year!

Sezzo

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just look on eBay and if not available in country, then most of those sellers will ship internationally.

doci869

So there we were chasing this nice mule buck. My nephew took the shot and nailed him as he tried to go up thru a bushy draw flopping him to the ground! He walked down to start processing and I said I'd find a way down the snowy hill side to load it up. I got to him and shut the Blazer down, then thought I should just leave it running its about 20 degrees out. I hit the key and nothing! My heart sank thinking we were hosed at the bottom of this draw, no cell service and a fresh kill. I remember reading about the Doghead mod and downloading the pictures (on my computer at home). I always figured if it aint broke dont fix it. I pulled the relay plug in and tried to hotwire the truck...........it fired right up! We loaded the deer and blazed for civilization just making NAPA before it closed! Got the relay and hooked it up so we can still go out tomorrow to fill the other tag!

THANK YOU DOGHEAD!!! I don't think people say enough to those who do the research on some of these modifications or fixes for these beautiful creatures we love to drive, collect, restore or even just look at! To all of you who do, THANK YOU!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks