• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v winch on 24v

oldMan99

Interesting. Thanks for that link.

According to the spec sheet it does look like (at least for the 20k unit) that it is capable of running on 12 or 24v.

I have never heard of this company. Of course that does not mean they are not any good but I would be at least cautious until I found out more about them.

I did note that they offer 5 winches, from 13k to 20k and they call them all "Truck winch" except for the 20k which they call "Car winch". That seems odd. Also, the roller fairlead on the "Truck winches" looks much like the ones used by Warn and most of the other makers we are more familiar with here in the US. The 20k "Car winch" is completely different and to be honest looks pretty lame, especially the side rollers.

Still, an interesting option to consider... Especially if your not planning on needing 100% or more of the capacity of the unit. (Like pulling cars up onto a flat bed trailer as opposed to pulling a stuck 5 ton MV out of fender deep muck - by yourself in the rain at 0300 in 35 degree temperature.)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the input. [thumbzup]

After hearing the responses here and doing more research, I'm leaning toward just a 12v winch powered by a 12v deep cycle battery. I was worried I'd run out of juice in the middle of a winching operation but after hearing people here it looks like I'll be ok.

The winch is kind of on the back burner at the moment. Too cold and messy right now.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out and bought a 8,000lb 12v winch last week from Harbor Freight. I winched a deuce upon the trailer with nothing but a battery and it handled it with ease. Looks like this setup is going to work fine.

Adrian A

I know this is old. It has some good info though. I'm considering a 15000 lb. 12 volt winch with a separate deep cycle battery charged by a 12 v wire from my solar charging system. It has 12 and 24 volt outputs in a fuse box.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know this is old. It has some good info though. I'm considering a 15000 lb. 12 volt winch with a separate deep cycle battery charged by a 12 v wire from my solar charging system. It has 12 and 24 volt outputs in a fuse box.
If you are talking about the solargiser system with the grey box that has fuses(and circuit breakers) in it, that is a bad idea.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That, AND the fact you will be pulling 12v from a 24v system, you will destroy the batterys the first time you use it.

If you want to use a 12v on a 24v system:
A, wire it to 24v
B, get a dedicated 12v system
C, a balancer(I forget the correct name right now, but will find it for you) might work, but I doubt it.

EQUALIZER! Yeah, it takes the 24v from the alt and charges each 12v battery individually. That way, you don't under charge one batt or over charge the other.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen 12v winches used on 24 v Unimogs a number of times. It's really quite simple and works great if you plan a separate 12v battery. Mount it close to the winch if you can, an advantage normal winch installations rarely have. The limitation is the AH rating of the battery versus drain of the winch. No 24 to 12 system I have heard of, even the battery equalizers (Vanner is good brand) handle anywhere near winch current. I have a 50 amp Vanner on a 404 Unimog that runs a snow plow, and that works fine (but sure as heck is not the load of a winch).

Charge the 12v battery through a 24 to 12 converter made for that purpose. USA companies like Wilmore have been making such converters for decades for use on professional installations such as airport fire trucks, heavy equipment, etc. The converter takes 24v from your vehicle and manages the 12v battery charging, limited to the current the model was designed for. Your 24v truck system is not modified at all.

I have in use (for 10 years now) a Wilmore model 1416-35 that was old when I got it. It came off an airport fire truck. Also in use here: a 1416-15 (15 amp) and a newer 1640-12-15. Many of their newer converters have an enable line that can come from a switched source to turn off the converter when the vehicle is not running, a good idea.

NewMar makes some good professional devices too. None of these devices are cheap, unless you buy cheap third world stuff like Samlex. I started out with Samlex and fried several. Never again. I want to install and forget.

You can run radios, cell chargers, GPS, anything, off the separate 12v battery.

Bob

dangood

Have used 12v winches on the 24v system multiple times. No issues so far. You do need to watch the wind in speed as it tends to be a bit quicker under no load. I got so tired of messing with the 5ton winches not working right, levers and linkages all jacked up or the tranny getting messed up if the PTO wasn't shimmed right. Plus...It sucks not having a remote. Having to climb up and down out of the truck when doing Winch work is a young mans job. Im for Electric with a wired lanyard, and a aux wireless remote. Just dont sit on the remote on accident... One other bonus for going to electric it you dont have the ridiculously long bumper sticking out that the PTO winches have. Looks better and much better approach angle when off road wheeling. Here are two trucks we built in the past that we put Electric winches on. A Bobbed deuce m35 and a 5ton Tractor converted into a crewcab. You def get a cleaner custom look with the Electric winches. bobbed1.jpgbobbed3.jpgIMG_5877.jpgIMG_5889.jpg

Bigdumanimal

I have plenty of 18,000 lb warn 24v winches fully loaded with all the extras. I will sell for 850 each (that includes shipping) to any business address in the US.
You still have any of those 24v warn winches? I'm in need for my m35a2 and rigging a 12v winch and *hoping* it works is not an option for me. As bad as it is to have to drag out the winch line and wade through a bunch of muck to something, occasionally repeating several times, I have no interest in a winch that might work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks