• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A and -003A main breaker

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here Is a thought, Is there a difference In manufacturer? AIRPAX / HEINEMANN I would love to know someone who had a Gen that would not easily Trip the 10Kw Breaker, what manufacturer and part # they had.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to Thank jamawieb for His wisdom, The Idiot award for today go's to Ding, Ding, Ding "MYSELF" I got myself into trouble again assuming my 10Kw Gen was complete with only 40 hours on It and had the correct 10Kw AC box. I got to thinking about what jamawieb said about the CVT1's being different on the 5Kw and the !0Kw so this morning I checked my 10Kw to see the wraps on the CVT1 and It was staring right at me, I had a 5Kw AC box on a 10Kw Gen. No wonder my breaker was tripping. aua aua aua Now I have a brand new breaker for a paper weight. It just go's into Parts Stock? The moral of this story Is, If your Breaker Is Tripping when It shouldn't be, check you AC Box first.

Guyfang

Staff member
It maybe not the ONLY reason, but your right, everyone should look. The same thing happened to me with a 60 KW. It was mounted on a large ROWPU. I turned it on, turned on the main circuit breaker for the ROWPU, and all was well. Then a very large pump kicked on, the gen set went into high speed, trying to correct itself for an extremely large load, and then shut down for overload. You would have thought the set was going to jump off the trailer! I figured the load out in KW, and it came to 35 KW. How can it go into overload shutdown? About 3 days later, it dawned on me to check the CT's. I didnt say a word. Changed i,t and slunk out of town.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Life isn't life unless you learn something every day. I have read the TM's 100's of times, and worked on at least 10 Gen's. but the TM's don't teach experience and that there are smarter people than me.

Guyfang

Staff member
Every person I have ever heard from, or read comments from, who has great knowledge and experience on the MEP-002A and MEP-003A, has posted at some time on this thread. What do you all think about a document, maybe a sticky, that gives some pointers to people who want to buy one, and do not have the foggiest idea about gen sets? Or just do not know these gen sets? A few basic points, that they should use when looking at one, or after they get one home, and don't know where to start. Please put your comments down here. If you want to contribute, we could do it with PM's. Someone start writing, and send it to someone else. They take a look, and then suggest adding something, changing something or deleting something. Too often we assume people have a good handle on mechanics, and troubleshooting. It not always the case. Doing a few smart things at the start, can save lots of time and money in the end.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with everything you suggested. This main Breaker Thread started 12/5/10 and that makes a lot of reading material that's not all main breaker. This could be added to the list. My first suggestion to whomever wants a surplus generator thinking there going to get a plug & play at a cheap cost, most likely your not and it always turns out your going to spend more money than you thought you were. You must do your research before you buy a surplus generator. What Model and Kw generator do you need. To the beginners a 3Kw or 5Kw will "Not" power your whole house with a 3 Ton A/C. I would also suggest when you do pick a generator your interested in buying, please read the TM's on It to get a basic knowledge of what your buying. You must also have basic electrical knowledge, Volts, Amps, Resisters, Diodes, AC Vr's, DC Vr's, Transformers, Switches, Gauges, Hookup. Etc. You must also have a basic knowledge of engine mechanics, IP's, Glow Plugs, Starters, Fuel Pump's, Etc. I myself am always learning something new when I work on these Generators constantly, that's what makes it fun, the challenge. But when I get stuck on something That's when I turn to the Pro's on this site for answers or suggestions, trust me when I say they will bail your butt out when needed. You also have to put time and money into the generators to get them back to safe working order. After the initial cost and recovery of the generator or generators, you can easily say your going to spend average $200.00 just for Misc. for each generator. The supplies needed before you can even think about the startup. Batteries, fluids, filters, Parts If needed. As all of us know, parts are not cheap even used parts are not cheap for these. First thing I always do Is turn motor buy hand to make sure it's not locked up. Then there's the time it take's to get one ready to start, I would say It takes me average 2 day's checking the generator out, Cleaning pump filters, flushing fuel lines, replacing missing parts, check all wiring to see if they have been messed with and retighten all connections as I go. Replace all air, fuel, oil filters then refill all fluid's to correct levels. Then when I am ready to start the generator, I give the please work prayer then go from there. It can take day's sometimes to diagnose something that is wrong. There Is a lot of stuff I left out or I could have wrote a book on, but I hate typing. I always tell myself that this Hobby of mine Is Fun. P.S. Never Assume Anything.

Philratcliffe

Yes, I've actually bypassed the breaker by hooking the main wires together on the back of the breaker. Then I put an ordinary 50 amp house breaker inline of my load. It has worked well thus far but would not recommend this to anyone because I have a lot of experience with these generators and would hate someone to ruin their genset by bypassing safety features.
You did this on an mep 002? Is it in three phase or single phase mode? I have an 002 with a fresh rebuilt engine and the breaker trips at a very low load of 8 amps.
I only need single phase for my application. So can I switch it to single phase and tie the wires together in the back of the breaker and run a 50amp breaker after the wires leave the generator? Thanks for any info. Phil

Philratcliffe

It maybe not the ONLY reason, but your right, everyone should look. The same thing happened to me with a 60 KW. It was mounted on a large ROWPU. I turned it on, turned on the main circuit breaker for the ROWPU, and all was well. Then a very large pump kicked on, the gen set went into high speed, trying to correct itself for an extremely large load, and then shut down for overload. You would have thought the set was going to jump off the trailer! I figured the load out in KW, and it came to 35 KW. How can it go into overload shutdown? About 3 days later, it dawned on me to check the CT's. I didnt say a word. Changed i,t and slunk out of town.
Pls excuse my ignorance but what is the CT?
I’m trying to get one of my 002s to carry the max load and my breakernis tripping at only 7/8amps. Thx guys.

Guyfang

Staff member
Pls excuse my ignorance but what is the CT?
I’m trying to get one of my 002s to carry the max load and my breakernis tripping at only 7/8amps. Thx guys.
You are in a hurry. Much better to find out what is wrong. It may not be the CB. It might be something as simple as a loose wire. Dirty contacts in the S8. A miss wired gen set. Unless you really KNOW what you are doing, you can really get someone hurt, or destroy things.

Just my two cents worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks