• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wright Patterson AFB Woes Continue; Help!

McVeyMac

First of all, I want to thank all of you who have contributed to trying to solve my dilemma concerning the truck I purchased from Wright Patterson AFB. You are one great group of guys.

The saga continues and gets a lot worse. First of all, I have been able to solve the no SF-97 issue. Ohio DMV will sell me a temporary 30 day tag to transport the vehicle. So this problem has gone away. Another more serious problem has developed. I called the Site Manager yesterday to schedule an appointment to get the truck filled with fluids, install batteries, change light bulbs, etc. and determine road worthiness. Yesterday he now tells me that there is no place I can perform the requisite work. If you remember, initially he said that I could do this work in an area just outside the gate, but yesterday he told me that I could not even do this. So:

Help Help Help!

I suspect that all fluids have been drained from the vehicle. Does any member live within 10 or so miles from Wright Patterson AFB? If so, Could I have the vehicle towed to your place, add the requisite fluids and determine road worthiness???? Additionally, are any members local to the area aware of a good towing company within 10 or so miles from W-P AFB where I might be able to do the requisite maint. in their parking lot??? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. All information I have on the vehicle points towards it not having any fluids.

I am getting pretty desperate here. Could anyone who is in a position to help email me at wrm10@psu.edu or send me an e-mail with a phone number and a time I can call you? Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Walt

NEIOWA

I've picked up 9 trucks from various DRMO over the last 2 yr. Never had any that had any fluids drained. All in fact all had diesel left in the tank (well one was 90% mogas = toasted 8V92). Some with dead batteries, figure the batteries are dead or perhaps junk. The most important question is if the truck drove in or not. The idiots at govliquidation are typically clueless so may not have any reliable info.

When I can't get to a DRMO quickly for pickup I've had a local truck repair shop make the pickup and do a roadworthness inspection (figure 2hr at $70-80/hr + tow charge). The inspection is not a bad idea if you're planning a drive home. In theory, if the truck then selfdistructs on your maiden drive you can go back to the repair shop for some relief. IN any case its a lot easier to get into a truck shop than a DRMO (like eveneings, weekends).

Make sure the wrecker co doesn't send out some 40t elephant that costs you $500minimum charge. Others may know better but I'd assume a F450 size wrecker can handle a towing duece.

Like I said before. With the military it is better to ask forgiveness that permission. Sounds like you already asked the wrong questions though. So can the govliq guy show you IN WRITING the auction terms or post SOP to backup any of the BS he is feeding you? If not, 1.) ignore him or 2.) go over his head for IN WRITING the auction terms that backup his BS.

fredrader

I live about 15-20mi from WPAFB..You can email me and I will give you my address..Or call me 937-361-7267..We can keep it here for a while if you need to..Let me know.

JDToumanian

Hi Walt,
I completely agree with NEIOWA in that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. Also, I don't think that just because you've asked the "wrong questions", you should not still go for it... I say "Just do it!"

It seems to me that, from a "site manager's" perspective, the default answer to the question of "Can I work on my truck in your yard", is going to be NO! He doesn't want to have to watch over someone while they fiddle around with their new truck. He would assume that you don't know what you're doing, and it's going to take all day.

I like the idea of showing up just before lunch... say 11am. Know exactly what you are going to do before you get there. (Check all three axles, transfer, trans, and engine for oils, master cylinder for brake fluid, and radiator for coolant, etc.) Have tools ready... 18" or 24" breaker bar and ratchet should be all you need for basic fluid checks. You could be done and ready to roll in 15 minutes.

Also, remember to make use of safety "buzzwords"... For example, rather than say "I'd like to check fluids for road worthiness", just start checking. When asked, say, "I'm performing a SAFETY INSPECTION to make sure the vehicle can be moved SAFELY... This should take only a few minutes", which defuses a negative response and implies that the vehicle can not be moved safely at all, until the basic check has been done. Even if a vehicle is going to be flat-bedded away, a BASIC SAFETY INSPECTION must still be performed... checking the area for hazards, debris, wheel chocks, animals or children nearby, condition of bumpers, tiedown shackles, etc... "This prevents damage to equipment and tools, and possibly serious injury to personnel. All damage and injury is preventable, no damage or injury is acceptable." How can they argue with that?

Odds are that all fluids are present, but if not I'd be ready to fill them very quickly. I'd have my gear oil in 5-gallon buckets (rather than quarts) with a pump and hose. Engine oil and coolant in gallon jugs, and have a big funnel. Even if all fluids are full, it will not be a waste because you will want to change them soon anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much. They're not going to stop you from getting your truck... Think about it - if they won't let you do what you need to do to get it out of there today, it means that they have to deal with you AGAIN, tomorrow!

Regards,
Jon

poppop

It all depends on the site manager. When I picked up my S-10 at Fort Jackson the GL guy was super nice. My truck had no key so he loaded it with a big forklift. He showed us other goodies on the yard and started a couple for us that he knew would run. He told us of a cherry Duece coming up at another base that he knew personaly. When we were loaded he said look all you want and turn in your badges when you leave. Just made a pickup at Warner Robbins yesterday and both guys were great. One showed us where the curent stuff was in the warehouse and left us alone to look all we wanted. We went on the yard to look at something and Mr. Dosier, whom we had met before apoligised for being so busy he could'nt visit and invited us back later. He was very busy unloading waste and surplus from a long line of old dueces still on active duty. The one he had just unloaded was driven by a great looking female soldier.

McVeyMac

All diffs and tranny have drain plugs.

The deuce I picked up back in Oct. had all fluids drained, and it had a stubborn rear oil pan drain plug, so in their infinite wisdom, they chose to punch a hole in it to drain it. Luckily, we had a bolt about the size of the hole that we threaded into the hole. I drove it 150 miles with no leak.

Walt

Walt

McVeyMac

Many thanks to all of you who have contributed here!!!!!!!

I think I have a suitable work around. I found a towing company that is just outside the gate called Thomas Automotive and Towing. This would keep the resulting tow to a minimum (<10 miles). The will allow me to work on the truck in their parking lot to add fluids, install batteries etc. Their storage charges are reasonable if I have to leave it to get additional parts, and then come back later to install them. There is a DMV nearby which I have learned that they will sell me a 30 day temporary registration to transport the vehicle home. This solves the delay I will realize in getting the vehicle titled.

So, I think that all of my problems are solved. I want to thank all of you who have contributed with offers to house this beast etc. You all are one great group of guys and gals.

Walt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks