• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton air lockers?

deuceman51

I've read tons of threads on the detroit lockers, but has anybody found anyone who makes air lockers for the 5t M809 axles? I am in the process of working on a M813 that was converted for powerline use as a digger truck/polesetter and my customer wants lockers added to it. From what I read, the detroits sound pretty dangerous to untrained operators. There is no way the average powerline guys will know to let up on the throttle when turning and I can't have a truck with 16.00x20s losing control and killing someone. Cost is not an issue with the company. I would prefer air lockers, but I guess I want to know just how well the detroits are working for everyone. I'm a little concerned about the tires getting chewed up like some guys report and the added 16.00x20s(which I hate to begin with) are probably more likely to snap an axle if the rears keep locking up on their own.

Fire away!!!!!!!

wehring

Factory airlockers

I have two sets of FACTORY Rockwell airlocking axles that fit our 5 tons. An added plus... the shafts are 1/4" bigger than the 800 series axles.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

fastfreddy

Can anyone take a educated guess at how much it would cost to have the air lockers installed on a 900 series 5 ton? and would the air system on the truck be enough or would it need it's own dedicated system to operate the lockers and would the lockers that come on the truck work with the air locker system? sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread just expanding on the OP's questions.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two sets of FACTORY Rockwell airlocking axles that fit our 5 tons. An added plus... the shafts are 1/4" bigger than the 800 series axles.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Im guessing the locking axles are for the rear. Could it be taken out and put in the front stearing axle?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes but sometimes you need it.[thumbzup]
Agreed! It just can be "fun" at times. A selectable locker is the ONLY way to go when it comes to a front axle IMHO. ;)

I don't think I'd want a locked front axle in a deuce without power steering though. :deadhorse:

wehring

steer and rears

These are a full set of 3 with air lockers. You can change out the backing plate with 900 series parts to convert them to 900 style brakes. Yes the 900 air system will operate the air locking mechanism.

I can provide you with just the axles or do a complete conversion to your truck.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How well would a truck drive with a standard (non air) locker in front and locking hubs in the unlocked position?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How well would a truck drive with a standard (non air) locker in front and locking hubs in the unlocked position?
As well as an open front diff axle with drive flanges on it. Although 5 ton hubs are crazy expensive...

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As well as an open front diff axle with drive flanges on it. Although 5 ton hubs are crazy expensive...
I wanted to know for my deuce, but saw no reason to start a new thread.

I'm wondering if a standard locker with locking hubs would be better than an air locker.

I also want lockers in both rears with one of the rears having locking hubs. Which axle would be best to drive around on most of the time if I wanted to unlock one? Front rear or rear rear?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IMHO, I'd go with a air locker in the front. A standard locker + hubs would still mean you need to get out and lock them in and out as needed. If money isn't an object the best would be hubs and an air locker. That way the front axle assembly isn't spinning when you're driving it with the t-case unlocked. I don't see me ever getting a locker in the front of my truck. But I would like hubs on mine to help cut down on the drag.

Dual lockers in the rear isn't going to be fun either... But there's also a company that makes a custom axle that uses a front hub to "unlock" a rear axle.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, I'd go with a air locker in the front. A standard locker + hubs would still mean you need to get out and lock them in and out as needed. If money isn't an object the best would be hubs and an air locker. That way the front axle assembly isn't spinning when you're driving it with the t-case unlocked. I don't see me ever getting a locker in the front of my truck. But I would like hubs on mine to help cut down on the drag.

Dual lockers in the rear isn't going to be fun either... But there's also a company that makes a custom axle that uses a front hub to "unlock" a rear axle.
That's what I was looking at - the hub lock for the back. Which axle would you use them on?

Unforgiven

By 5 ton air locker do you mean an actual air locking differential such as ARB, or an air actuated disconnect going to an open differential?

wehring

diff locker

He is talking about the diff lockers. I still have a set of anyone wants them. $4000 for all 3. The axle shafts are 1/4" bigger than stock 5 ton shafts. Factory Rockwell airlockers.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Unforgiven

wehring, do you have any pics? I assume you are talking about one steer & two rear assemblies, hub to hub including brakes?

How would one rebuild them when necessary? Oversized bearings & air actuator parts might be quite difficult to find for a discontinued 5 ton axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks