• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce mirrors , different types

ODdave

I am curious about the mirrors on my trucks, The '68 has a smaller setup which i think is more fitting for the truck and I personaly like better. The '72 has a much larger set up, which functions better but dosnt fair in the woods as well. Whats the scoop on the diference? Are the little ones harder to find?

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mirror head itself on your '68 is the same type used on GM pick ups from the 80's. I have a '68 also and it has the west coast type like your '72. I don't know if this was an upgrade or an option depending on the vehicles destination or what. Do you notice if one vibrates more than the other?

I also think that the smaller mirror isn't the same rectangle mirror I have seen on other trucks, the others seem smaller.

Here is another style,

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dm35a2%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701&w=600&h=450&imgurl=m35a2.net%2Fimages%2F4d5004.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fm35a2.net%2F4d5004.html&size=77KB&name=M35A2+for+sale+i...&p=m35a2&oid=5c75dff6afb40ef4268b7a4d16f7a91f&fr2=&no=3&tt=7430&sigr=10saakils&sigi=10r9p3san&sigb=12a46eno0&.crumb=07lrxBDLbV.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would say up grade, because my old 52 m52 had military west coast, instead of the lollipops that the g-744 shows

ODdave

they seem to shake about the same, the small one the bracket apears to be part of or welded to the windsheild pivot pin. I am going to pick up 2 deuce bodies soon, i will see what ones are on those. I dont see to many of the lil ones......

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Deuce I drove in the Army (1970-71) had the small mirrors, as did all the deuces in my unit at the time. My 1969 Kaiser Jeep has the larger west coast mirrors. As stated above, they are a pain in the woods but work much better on the highway. My west coast mirror on the drivers side vibrates like crazy. The passenger side does not, for some reason. I suspect that the west coast mirrors were an upgrade, at least on the earlier trucks, but I'm just guessing.

wb1895

My deuce has the smaller mirrors. It was my impression that the older, smaller mirrors were the original mirrors put on the trucks around the Vietnam era. But I have been wrong before......

fasttruck

The original mirror was same as a jeep: ball socket about 5"X6" mounted on one or two tubular arms to the A post. Then the "camper mirror" appeared which is illustrated in the pic at the beginning: same as the Dodge 880 with one bolt attaching to the arm. With the comming of the 809 series with fgactory west coast mirrirs kits came out to retro them to dueces. There were write ups inb PM magazine and I am sure maintenance memos on the subject at the time.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original mirror was same as a jeep: ball socket about 5"X6" mounted on one or two tubular arms to the A post. Then the "camper mirror" appeared which is illustrated in the pic at the beginning: same as the Dodge 880 with one bolt attaching to the arm. With the comming of the 809 series with fgactory west coast mirrirs kits came out to retro them to dueces. There were write ups inb PM magazine and I am sure maintenance memos on the subject at the time.
Not quite correct see this: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58035-looking-old-style-mirrors.html

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks