• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally - Factory 5 ton 20K hitch

wehring

I put one of the 20K hitches I had made for the deuces on an M925 that I am bobbing this week. It is turning out to be a clean addition. I am also adding a gooseneck ball to the top of the insert so it will pull an assortment of standard balls, pintle trailers AND gooseneck trailers.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

eldgenb

don't get me wrong its a beautiful piece of equipment but from what I understand balls have a shear rating based on weight, The heaviest trailer I have ever seen with a standard ball is 16k, anything heavier than that would have a pintle hitch. What is the point of this hitch aside from the additional weight it can manage in the gooseneck application? Just curious.

wehring

question

My target client pulls his ferret with a gooseneck. Marketability is the point for this one.

I believe that ONE hitch that can pull a 2" ball trailer, pintle trailer and gooseneck trailer is a great asset. I have each on our farm and I intend to build a second one for myself.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Sierra51

My target client pulls his ferret with a gooseneck. Marketability is the point for this one.

I believe that ONE hitch that can pull a 2" ball trailer, pintle trailer and gooseneck trailer is a great asset. I have each on our farm and I intend to build a second one for myself.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
I'll throw this out first....I have never pulled a gooseneck trailer....but I have been an OTR flatbed operator for 7 1/2 years in a previous life....also I have trailered with both balls and pintles for private purposes since 75'....granted this beautiful piece of craftsmanship is installed on a Deuce, but I was wondering if it would work with say a 1 ton?....I'm thinking the CG/weight and pivot/balance point would be way off....a multi-tasking hitch is a great idea....

Alredneck

Banned
Justin, hitch looks awesome, is that 3/8" plate for your side brackets? Some paint and it will be super sharp!

Ball weights, im not sure of the limit but I do have a 2 5/16ths ball rated for 23k, for a bumper pull.
My gooseneck ball is rated at 30K and is also 2 5/16ths!

wehring

plates

The plates are 1/2"

The ball is a 30K ball but I am going above and beyond (as usual) to ensure safety. The ball will be threaded into the top of the hitch then welded in place. The drop mount is solid 2" stock.

I am not sure a 1 ton would be safe. This type of gooseneck hitch will unload the front axle where an over-axle ball does not. On a deuce/5 ton it is a non-issue but I would not try this on a regular pick-up.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Sierra51

The plates are 1/2"

The ball is a 30K ball but I am going above and beyond (as usual) to ensure safety. The ball will be threaded into the top of the hitch then welded in place. The drop mount is solid 2" stock.

I am not sure a 1 ton would be safe. This type of gooseneck hitch will unload the front axle where an over-axle ball does not. On a deuce/5 ton it is a non-issue but I would not try this on a regular pick-up.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
That is what I was thinking....thanks, Paul

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had a friend at a hitch shop build my gooseneck plate for my M-61. It is rated at 40k and is one hunk of steel. I paid $430 for the whole pate, ball, mounted, trailer brake controller, wiring and rear connector installed. Not a very good pic, it just kinda happened to be in the picture.

Attachments

Flat Black

A gooseneck ball behind the axle will make a GN/fifth wheel trailer track more in line with the wheels or more like a bumper pull. There is a limit to this of course, but as noted, placing it behind the axle on a MDT is not an issue where it might be on a one ton dually depending on the pin weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks