• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another newbie

k1hb

a5 model.
its quite grimey. how in spring should i scrub it? its desert yellow.
where should i put the battery?
i think i am going to weld a towbar mysel to pull it behind my 404 unimog....or does anybody have a spare one for sale?
fun machine.
hope to pull the kids on skis at xmas, or on sleds...no chains and original tires though!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the bed off and pressure wash. May as well paint while you are at it. Look at Mechanical Mules Of America for the battery box and location. I'd be careful towing, don't know the max speed. I always hauled mine.

majorhitt

I have a Mule on it's way from Dave. The bed is in OK shape. hndrsonj says Pull the bed off and pressure wash it. Being that I don't have the Mule as of yet, How many bolts hold the deck to the frame? It has a few small holes that need to be welded closed. Aluminum deck. I do have to get the TM's sometime.

asgtoolman

To all newbies; get to know Bill Watson, Dave Kelone and Mechanical Mules!!!! All are great resources. IMO Bill has more original or NOS parts, MM has good fabricated parts [battery boxes, foot baskets] and Dave has some of all.
I not sure about towing, but think 20-25 mph would be TOPS and only for short runs! Not supposed to tow in 4 wheel steer if I remember correctly.
SERIOUSLY look into converting your A5 to 4 wheel steer; makes ALL the difference!!![Bill Watson has the kits] - takes a day to do it if you have any mechanical skills at all.
Unless you are going to do a MAJOR rework, I'd leave the bed on and do a super pressure wash job. The bed does not just unbolt from the frame, several assemblies are all tied together with the bed. I took mine completely apart and sand blasted, primed and painted and then reassembled, but it was a little tedious as I do 99% of my work by myself.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks