• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

powered trailer..

Ryden

It's Ted and his li'l red wagon!
I'd like to have one of those trailers but my 903 doesn't have the PTO :(

Maverick1701

I read an article on one a while back on some British? swed? vehicle.....stated that when the vehicle tipped over they could throw it in reverse and the trailer would pull the vehicle back on its wheels. Ill try to find it

Last edited:

Ryden

The article says that the trailer could cause the car to be flipped, couldn't find any ref to it being able to pull it back up again and I seriously doubt that it could.
It wouldnt have enough traction on it's own to pull a flipped vehicle.
I'll ask Ted to try it and see what happens :)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long ago, someone erroneously told me that the reason that deuces and 5 tons have driveshaft flanges/pinions on both sides of the axle is because there was a kit to connect the rear axle of the front vehicle to the front axle of the rear vehicle when they were connected with a towbar.

I wonder if a trailer could be built using a "live" axle and power given to it by way of a driveshaft between truck and trailer. I would guess corners would be tough...

Maverick1701

The article says that the trailer could cause the car to be flipped, couldn't find any ref to it being able to pull it back up again and I seriously doubt that it could.
It wouldnt have enough traction on it's own to pull a flipped vehicle.
I'll ask Ted to try it and see what happens :)

well I read it a LONG LONG Time ago....so I may have gotten the details mixed up lol

Ryden

You would have to articulate the driveshaft but it would be doable.

Take the back end of another deuce and get yourself a 14 wheeler.
There's some guys here in Sweden that are trying to make a driver trailer out of the back of a C306, don't know if it ever left the drawing board...

Edit:
How in carnations do you post pictures in this forum?

Attachments

Last edited:

shannondeese

I am building a 31 ft flat bed with tandem Deuce axles, High Angle Driveline is building the shafts with an extreme angle double CV. I built the trailer in sections so that when I get home from this deployment I can weld the large sections together and then install the driveline. Once it is done I'll be sure to post pictures of it all. I wanted a trailer to put my off road toys on and then be able to get far enough into the middle of no where that I don't have to worry about anyone finding me if I don't want to be found. There are a few things on the table for the design that were pretty hard to build but it's a cool set up. There is a fuseable link in the shaft so if I bind it up the fuse will blow and not the driveline. And fuses are easy to change by design. To preven the no pics back lash please understand that I am halfway around the world from home right now. Ya'll are just going to have to be patient.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty cool, but just my two cents: without a lot of weight in the trailer, it's not going to add as much traction as you think. But it is a cool idea, if you DID have the weight in the trailer, and the front wheels were spinning, it might help get you over a hump that you otherwise couldn't. Turn your 4x4 into a 6x6 in a way.

Ryden

The trailer doesn't add any traction, basically it just negates the drag from a towed trailer so you end up with as much traction as the car alone.
But it will give you that extra push needed if you get cross axled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks