• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dukw?

paulfarber

Just think if you accidentally ran into someone all you would do is go up and over them because of the sloped hull... not that you could see what you hit in the first place :)

A DUKW is definitely on the 'When I win the Lottery' list, but more towards the middle/bottom of the list.

Like anything else you want to collect.. the more you look for something, the more you find it.

plym49

In Boston there are several that do tourist tour duty. They drive all over the city and then hop into the Charles River to complete the tour. I have always wondered how much of their running gear has been upgraded to more modern componentry.

Wasn't a similar tourist operation in Philly recently in trouble when one of their ducks sunk, possibly fatally injuring a couple of tourists.

paulfarber

I heard the same rumor but never actually read anything about it.

They could have simply fallen off onto the road (that like an 8 ft drop) or drowned.. don't know.

plym49

That's it, Mike, thanks. I believe that the two missing people drowned.

I don't know the results of the inquiry. There were allegations that the Dukw skipper never declared an emergency. I don't know if that would have mattered given the lack of maneuverability, size and speed of the tug and the barge.

Monkeypirate

I shall revive this thread but only because it only stalled a couple months ago. I have been thinking of buying a DUKW for fun. Not that I can afford it, but that's a trivial matter. If you are looking for one to restore, Chicago DUKW Corporation has a few ranging from $5k and up. A good starting point that dosn't need massive overhauls will start about $40kand up. Im personally thinking of just buying a cheap jeep and building a GPA replica. But I have to finish the M2 and sell the track car first. Hard choices some times have to be made in this hobby!

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 45 DUKW I bought from a NY fire dept a long time ago it was sold as running and swiming but was not running very well at all and would not have swam anywhere except to the bottom. I spent $26K to buy it and $3K to ship it and have put another $25K in work and welding and paint and body and hundreds of hours just to get it where it is now. It runs now and swims but still needs all the little hard to find stuff and brake work and some dash wiring but looks and runs good. I am now to the point where it can be finished but am not healthy enough to do it. I was offered $50K for it last yr and should have took it but didn't. If you are looking for one I suggest getting one in the best shape and closest to finished as you can as it will be cheaper and less work than doing it later. They are out there and you can find them for sale. They are the most fun truck you can have. I have quite a few MVs and it is the one I like the most. Eddy

61sleepercab

I was looking for B model Mack trucks supposed to be at Sutton, West Virginia and next to the main road sat what was left of a DUKW hull that had been relieved of its frame and running gear. It surprised me to see such a relic sitting amongst worn out Mack coal trucks. There may be some barn finds out there still. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks