• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gutted 5 ton front housing

If it was me, I'd cut the center differential part completely out. Then weld in a new piece material, of the same size and thickness as the existing axle tubing in it's place. Axle housings are narrowed and widened everyday, and as for strength/integrity this would be no different. It would give it a much cleaner, professional look, than an un used, capped-off differential housing.
this would sure look better. but I think before I went thru that amout of work i would swap out the steer axle with a non driven one.
your idea is a good one but as usual im up against a time frame.

I think the front housing is plenty strong, I have also witnessed what you are talking about for a friend with a deuce axle in Oregon who jumps it at the dunes, he used 3/8" plate and never had a problem with it, very solid. Do you want to let us in on what engine/tranny combo you are planning on using? a series 60 or cat engine by chance? What is your 5 ton? 818 I would guess? Sorry for prying, I just like a good build. It gives me motivation to push my next project to the next level.
well - I have a couple of options.
1693 CAT
9513 fuller
350 Cummins

I like the older stuff that is serviceable by a dummy like me. with a little help from my friends.
going into my stretch 5 ton.
I never can leave things alone.

the real reason is -- I just want more power and a little more speed.

eldgenb

well - I have a couple of options.
1693 CAT
9513 fuller
350 Cummins

I like the older stuff that is serviceable by a dummy like me. with a little help from my friends.
going into my stretch 5 ton.
I never can leave things alone.

the real reason is -- I just want more power and a little more speed.
Well depending on which way you go I would trade you that lift axle for that 9513 if you want. Is it an rtlo rtoo or what?

Well depending on which way you go I would trade you that lift axle for that 9513 if you want. Is it an rtlo rtoo or what?
my extra 9513 is just an rto.
the distance between us makes the trade not so good. shipping would kill the deal.
even tho the pusher would look great on my stretch truck!
I think I have enough wheelbase.

Attachments

eldgenb

my extra 9513 is just an rto.
the distance between us makes the trade not so good. shipping would kill the deal.
even tho the pusher would look great on my stretch truck!
I think I have enough wheelbase.
oh yeah, plenty of wheelbase. Looks good and good luck with the swap, if you run into any problems you can give me a yell if you need to. Judging by your truck you are plenty capable. How many acres do you need to complete a U turn? :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks