• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

large bearing input needed

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you found a design that will work. I install large tapered bearings at work once in a while, they are 20in, and support 20 ton flywheel. Pretty sure they would be overkill, and last time I dropped one boss was not happy... 3,000.00 bearing, and 6 month lead time.

ODdave

Lol, go figure. had it running today and something went wrong in the motor.........tore it apart only to find the first driven gear is made out of bakelite WTF! and of corse it was stripped Dam! called bodine and they said $100 um, no. well made another one out of brass and now where moving again. sorry the pic sux.

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

Seems like alot of work to do it that way... Why not make a basic cicrle cutter to mount to the center of the rim in the bolt holes...You could have used a peice 1/4 inch plate with a hole in the center mount a bearing to it with a four bolt pillow block then weld a tube to the the plate to extend down like 4 inches and weld a plate to the end of it then another four bolt pillow block .Then you could run a solid rod down through both bearings and attach an arm to the end of the rod to hold the plasma cutter ...The arm would rotate freely and could be height and diameter adjustable..no motors,no drives and no need for it to hold heavy loads..You could do them on the ground and save your back .It could be cut on the lathe to make sure everything is centered and you wouldn't need a big lathe to do it ..

ODdave

It not just for cutting hemmit wheels, there are many other types I cut and some are cut through the sides. I do a lot of wheels and I enjoy building stuff. Thanks for the reply. I used a similar idea as yours to cut circles before

Jones

Looks like your set-up is working out good.
For the future; what about a little trolley head that would ride on the edge of the rim. It would in turn hold the torch head on an adjustable arm.
That way you could set height and extension and cut any size wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks