• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Litter Kit for the Mule

Eric's hifim37

Does anyone have a picture of the "Litter kit" for the mule ? or can refer me to what TM would have this kit discribed. I have a couple of litters and I thought it would be different to have the mounts, I was wondering if they mounted across or lengthwise. lengthwise would be the way to go but as we all must remember these types of modifications were to carry maximum payload so lengthwise would be a waste so I am thinking they would have mounted across the bed so two litters would mount.

Pictures would be great, even if they are in use ( combat ) photos

Thanks !

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The mule litter kit is one of those things that is supposed to exist, but no one has ever seen one in real life. Somewhere in a scrapyard there are probably crates of them. I have been messing with mules for over 20 years and never seen one except for the pictures in the -20.

WPNS421

Very interesting post, my wife was a medic and she has her own M1010, but the strechersis a great idea especially for reenactments. I think once the reenactments are finished it would be appropriate to have the Mule pick up the wound. Great crowd pleaser. Next projrct build the clamps for the stretchers. Our collection of vehicles is service support and this will fit the theme. Gun Boy hurry up and finish the 106MM recoiless rifle, I am anxious to see the end product. Today I went and played in the snow with the Mule and no I did not get stuck.

Attachments

Charlie

Several years ago, I looked for a litter kit, but was unable to find one. Using the drawings from TM 9-2320-246-20P, I built a copy of the kit.

With the seat removed and the steering wheel folded down, the mule can carry 4 litters.

I finally sold the litter kit because it was really in the way and was easy to ctach clothing and stuff on the brackets. Was kind of neat and drew a crowd at the shows.

Attachments

Eric's hifim37

I was going to bulid mounts but I would like to drive the Mule around Tower Park equipped and the shown mounting would be to wide, I was thinking of mounting one litter on the pass side lengthwise for operating it and have another set up for the stationary display but I only have two litters, It does look cool though. Hummmmm

Eric..

Charlie

I don't think I would want to build another one. I have a bunch of mule work lined up that will take me through the middle of the year. I sold the mount to David Kelone, so you might check and see if he still has it. It's not very practical, and really limits the operation of the mule, but it does look cool! One problem that I had was at shows, every kid around had to jump on the litters.....several got ripped and damaged.

Last edited:

majorhitt

Did you see the issue of Army Motors no. 121 Fall 2007? Page 48 shows a mule with two litters, and the steering column in the intermediate position.

Charlie

No litter kit, the litters are just placed across the side rails, which is probably as good, or better than, the actual litter kit.
What's neat about that photo is in the background, you can see part of the two ASP's (Amphibious Supply Platform) that were tested at APG in 1962. Two versions of the ASP were built, and the one in the photo looks like the walk-behind version. The ASP was considered too light and too small and had reliability problems; none were purchased. Wouldn't you love to find one of those prototypes? Neat!

emr

Now this is a SS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! great info !!! Thanks for the pics and stuff, Would love a set of these, a vary sad but very COOL thing to have to show MORE of the History of the Mule...And thanks to this thread I am also going to do a litter Mule in the near future... thanks randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks