• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

Jeep Nasty

I was wondering if you could help with with the front drums on my m916. I have the front drum/hub assembly removed to take to the machine shop to machine off the required material to fit my HEMTT wHeels with 16.00r20 tires. Is there a process for separating the hub from the drum to make it more manageable for the the machine shop or does the hub/drum assembly stay together the whole time. The TM did not go past this point?

Thanks

86m1028

I was wondering if you could help with with the front drums on my m916. I have the front drum/hub assembly removed to take to the machine shop to machine off the required material to fit my HEMTT wHeels with 16.00r20 tires. Is there a process for separating the hub from the drum to make it more manageable for the the machine shop or does the hub/drum assembly stay together the whole time. The TM did not go past this point?

Thanks
When I did my m916, I did NOT separate them.
Machine shop had no problems turning them as an assembly.
I did take them a wheel to measure for clearance.

To answer your question, I believe the wheel studs are pressed in & hold them together. It's been awhile since I did them.
The 16.00's are nice they look like they belong on the truck stock.

Last edited:

Jeep Nasty

When I did my m916, I did NOT separate them.
Machine shop had no problems turning them as an assembly.
I did take them a wheel to measure for clearance.

To answer your question, I believe the wheel studs are pressed in & hold them together. It's been awhile since I did them.
The 16.00's are nice they look like they belong on the truck stock.
Thanks, I went them same route keeping them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennys@wi.rr.com

My original post was on 1/6/2011. Exactly 8 years later I was on my way to pickup an M920 in NC. Dreams do come true.

I would like to learn more about the M920 before I seriously toss my hat in the ring to buy one. Is there anyone in the SE WI area that has one? Or within 100 miles or so of the Milwaukee area? I'd just like to be able to crawl around one and get a ride in one just to help me decide if it's what I really want to do. Cool factor is there for sure, now comes workability and driveability for me.
Thanks

rd3war

How hard is the steering on a M916? I have a 1980 M916 with 16's that seems like I have to put a lot of effort into turning the wheel. For example making a right or left turn at an intersection requires some muscle. The only other vehicle I have to compare it to is my M1078 which you can turn with one finger on the wheel, but the M916 is a whole body effort! The power steering fluid level seems ok, there is fluid in the reservoir (maybe a couple oz. low), I need to check again when hot.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a few take off power steering units.

How is your freeplay in your steering assist cylinder? Sometimes they make it stiff to turn.

rd3war

I have a few take off power steering units.

How is your freeplay in your steering assist cylinder? Sometimes they make it stiff to turn.
How do I check freeplay in the cylinder? The grease fittings around it seem to be well lubed. The steering box is solid, no slop there.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How do I check freeplay in the cylinder? The grease fittings around it seem to be well lubed. The steering box is solid, no slop there.
Undo the tie rod and check movement sliding it in and out with the lines at the cylinder cracked open. old hoses connecting to the cylinder could be deteriorating inside causing a restriction or your steering pump is just getting weak

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can also cap those cylinder lines off and drive it and see how it does. I have mine capped off in my 920 and I run 445 65 22.5 steers and have a 16in steering wheel and mine turns fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks