• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

eldgenb, would you say that there price point has improved as this sites interest and cool factor has gone up? Also were did you buy yours, Barstow? Soni I think your the man for keeping the rest of us in the know! Thank you

kennys@wi.rr.com

I would like to learn more about the M920 before I seriously toss my hat in the ring to buy one. Is there anyone in the SE WI area that has one? Or within 100 miles or so of the Milwaukee area? I'd just like to be able to crawl around one and get a ride in one just to help me decide if it's what I really want to do. Cool factor is there for sure, now comes workability and driveability for me.
Thanks

eldgenb

eldgenb, would you say that there price point has improved as this sites interest and cool factor has gone up? Also were did you buy yours, Barstow? Soni I think your the man for keeping the rest of us in the know! Thank you
nope that is another thing, location is key, I live in the great northwest and I flew to Ft Polk La and drove it back. Total expense including fuel and airfare for two was right around $7500 which was a smokin deal when I bought mine. I think that these trucks being in the know makes dealers try to scoop them up and turn a profit. After owning this truck I would be willing to pay much more than I did for it knowing what I do now. Its an awesome truck. People considering buying these need to check with their states laws and have a game plan on registering it/insuring it, these trucks are anything but run of the mill. I would say that very few of the trucks currently being bought up are by collectors etc like us. I would say more farmers, oil fields, etc are buying these in bulk due to their strength and rugged good looks!![thumbzup]

Thanks eldgnd, How is your truck reg. and insured? I have been following your crane mod, it is very impressive. A couple of years back I bought the Oshkosh Knuckle Boom crane trailer, the mk17. It was my intent to mount it to the back of a deuce, doh! I've been watching the 916 and 920's for the last year or so to do a mod like you've done. Your skill set and fab work is first cabin, and I know I'm not alone on this site when I say thanks for your input.

eldgenb

Thanks eldgnd, How is your truck reg. and insured? I have been following your crane mod, it is very impressive. A couple of years back I bought the Oshkosh Knuckle Boom crane trailer, the mk17. It was my intent to mount it to the back of a deuce, doh! I've been watching the 916 and 920's for the last year or so to do a mod like you've done. Your skill set and fab work is first cabin, and I know I'm not alone on this site when I say thanks for your input.
Well the good news is that as of the 1-1-2011 the trucks are now officially 30 full years old which means "Collector Vehicle Status". Now that may work in my state but may not in others. I registered it as a cargo instead of truck, and I had to insure it as a commercial for $28 month through state farm(not an insurance plug just a coincidence). I had considered doing exactly what you are talking about but I did not want the rear mounted crane simply because of what I do with my truck, I also wanted better weight distribution with it being mounted in the center and I wanted to be able to make my truck a dump bed as well. The crane that comes on the mk17 are really nice and it is the only unit with outriggers long enough to touch the ground on a 916-920 truck, I am about 4" short so I have some 8x12 chunks I put beneath the feet and call it good. There is a thread started in the 5 ton forum, he is looking for 16.00 r 21 tires and wheels, he said that he has a mk17 and a 916 that he is going to graft together and I think that is the best possible solution in that case. The frame should be similar in dimensions and if he is really slick he will cut off the outer frame of the 916(since they are double framed) and slide a good portion if not all of the inner frame into the mk17, that would make for a very strong setup. Plus with the 916 all of the front end gears are available in a ton of different ratio's so he can regear the front to match the rears no problem so he can pick up his freeway speed. Although if it were me I would slide the 916 rears back under it due to the detroit lockers etc. and worry about a complete regear if needed later.

Eldgen, I'll look into that thread with the married 916 to mk17. I too also would prefer to mount the pk crane behind the cab as you have done. Lately I've been thinking of going as far as leaving the mk intact and pulling it with a pintle hitch I built for it a couple years back. I would then look for a oil pipe bed and mate it to the 920 chase, leaving the winch in place and adding heavy duty gin poles. When I need the knuckle boom trailer I pull it behind the 920. If I need a 45k winch and gin poles, walla. Yea I know might be to pie in the sky but while I was at it I would make sure if I really needed to return to a 5th wheel I could crane off the bed and replace with the 5th wheel set-up.
Thanks for the info on the insurance, I like the cargo reg. as well. I'll see what the Arizona DOT will allow and get back with you.

Heres a couple of pictures of the MK17 with pintle hitch, I'm sure the 920 would barley break a sweat pulling it. Question, does the 920's winch have aux. attach for the hydraulics, and could it quick connect to the MK17 and its knuckle boom?

Attachments

Bighurt

Collector vehicle here in ND is a no go as M920 exceeds the weigh limit.

The other option is Anique which is super awesome unfortunatly it has a 40 yr requirement. Good news for me and the M35 as changing the registration this year will save about what the registration on my F350 is.

I realize ever state has its own regs I was just posting to keep the info in the thread.

As to insurance it can be a pain but State Farm is the only one that worked with me on M35 so they will continue to get my buisness. Just make sure you keep your limits within reason. I know on my R6 I'm covered for 300000 in property but my F350 is 100000. It always draws a look as it's a safe bet the Super duty will do more damage...

I always suggest people look into the additional financial burdens of more vehicles when it comes to the 920 this can be significant. Particularly if the vehicle is not used off property.

Bighurt

Heres a couple of pictures of the MK17 with pintle hitch, I'm sure the 920 would barley break a sweat pulling it. Question, does the 920's winch have aux. attach for the hydraulics, and could it quick connect to the MK17 and its knuckle boom?
I don't believe so. (Just to clarify I thought you were asking about rear bumper fittings) I'm not afraid to say I'm wrong...

Is it not conceivable that you could mount it backwards on the M920 frame?

Last edited:

Andy1234

Heres a couple of pictures of the MK17 with pintle hitch, I'm sure the 920 would barley break a sweat pulling it.
Question, does the 920's winch have aux. attach for the hydraulics, and could it quick connect to the MK17 and its knuckle boom?
There are auxillary ports on the M920. 2000 psi, 22 gpm.

They're located at the base of the control stand , behind the cab.

Andy

Edit: The M916 has them as well.

Last edited:

eldgenb

There are auxillary ports on the M920. 2000 psi, 22 gpm.

They're located at the base of the control stand , behind the cab.

Andy

Edit: The M916 has them as well.

Andy is correct there are auxiliary ports on the 916-920 for adding an additional circuit. You will want to check and see what the demand is for the crane to make sure. My National is bigger than the wayjax and only requires 14 gpm, now I modified the stock pump and took out one of the halves of it to slow it from 44 gpm to 22, the reason for this was because I did not want to have to have a open loop circuit and I did not want my crane to operate like something out of the movie Maximum Overdrive trying to kill any human in range. You will not have to worry about that part so long as you keep the winch on the truck and use only the aux port. Now also the pump will flow 22gpm but only reaches the desired pressure at higher than than the truck is governed at so I knew that it should be about perfect at 1500 to 1800 rpm for my crane, and through dumb luck I was right.

eldgenb

One thing for sure, this thread was for Soni so I will bow out a bit and turn it over to him since I am still a huge fan of his truck and his abilities as well.

Bighurt

One thing for sure, this thread was for Soni so I will bow out a bit and turn it over to him since I am still a huge fan of his truck and his abilities as well.
Agreed 100%

However at this point I think it's safe to see this was a feeler thread.

I'm sure Soni will post an new thread outlining his knowledge, I for sure intend to heed.

It should be a wiki, sticky, or whatever we use in this forum...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni think its great that you would like to share. In your new thread of tec tips I would like to add something for faster warm up on the Cat trans. When air pressure is up and trans is in netrual push in the shifter lock out button and this will help limber oil and raise oil 100* in ten min.

Excuse Me

Soni think its great that you would like to share.
That's the impression I have of Soni. Sounds like a very easy to get along with sort. Eldgenb's project is awesome and has a lot to offer about the experience of driving the 920 in a basic state getting it home. I hope before Eldgenb stops adding his knowledge to the thread, he waits for Soni to set out his preimeters for the thread. I'm willing to wager it'll be one of those "it's all good" sort of things.[thumbzup]

I wish I had something to contribute, but all can do is take away from the thread, new knowledge. Thankfully this site has so very many generous people that are willing to share.

sterlun

bid on everything and hope one sticks.. I was bidding on 6 when I won mine, if figured that who ever was bidding against me got soo sick of me that they just let me have one. And yes it was the very last one not to have been closed on the auction that I won and surprisingly the cheapest of the lot. No real strategy just persistence.
That can be dangerous advice, although it does work sometimes. I wanted a M796 Bolster trailer so I bid on several hoping to get one. I got 5. Oops...:-(

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another one when you change out you drop box oil take out the T fitting not just the drain plug. That is more than just a t fitting it has a screen built in to it. Pull check and clean.

One more before you drive you rig check that the oil pump for the drop box was not like mine. The can be installed 90* out and you will blow bubbles and not curculate the oil. The pump looks to be square but with what I will call a tab on one side and if you look from the back side the tab should be pointing down.

I also picked up the cat manual on the 755. Most should have the 72 series but check your numbers.
The number for the manual should be SENR7002-04 from the cat dealer.

Last edited:

M920

That's the impression I have of Soni. Sounds like a very easy to get along with sort. Eldgenb's project is awesome and has a lot to offer about the experience of driving the 920 in a basic state getting it home. I hope before Eldgenb stops adding his knowledge to the thread, he waits for Soni to set out his preimeters for the thread. I'm willing to wager it'll be one of those "it's all good" sort of things.[thumbzup]

I wish I had something to contribute, but all can do is take away from the thread, new knowledge. Thankfully this site has so very many generous people that are willing to share.

Well, there is certaily no need to apologize or leave the thread..... I'm actually very excited that this "feeler thread" as someone called it has taken off so fast, and I am convinced that it will be way better this way, then I had envisioned it..... :jumpin:
There is no way that I can cover everything on those trucks, and I think it is awesome that everybody is contributing.....Diffrent folks also come up with different solutions to a problem and by sharing the info with each other we can pick what we feel is the best solution.

So please just keep on posting away!!!! [thumbzup]

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks