• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

eldgenb

i don't own one, but i thought the 900's went to hydraulic. i was pretty sure it's almost a given assumption based on transmission type: auto trans = hydraulic PTO.

??

this is why I am hesitant to be concrete on my answer but I have never seen a hydraulic reservoir or lines going to one so I can't be certain. Where as on the M35A3 its all up front and visible.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the winches on 900 series cargos/tractors/wreckers are hydraulic, with the reservoir on the pass side behind the tool box.

But all this hydraulic talk and winches and off road campers, is off topic of the thread.

Soni, you might want to start another thread, the actual 915/916/920 tech and spec thread, as this thread was simply asking if such a thread would be popular, and has gotten cluttered.

M920

Yes, the winches on 900 series cargos/tractors/wreckers are hydraulic, with the reservoir on the pass side behind the tool box.

But all this hydraulic talk and winches and off road campers, is off topic of the thread.

Soni, you might want to start another thread, the actual 915/916/920 tech and spec thread, as this thread was simply asking if such a thread would be popular, and has gotten cluttered.
Well, even thought this thread has gotten a "little off topic" lol, it is certainly all good and usefull information!

But since I would like to try to keep this Tech & Tips thread relevant to the M915 series trucks, I AM going to start a new, seperate thread with the M915-M920 Tech and Tips as the MAIN TOPIC, in order to maybe keep it a little more truck specific to those trucks.
Thanks to all of you for posting and the input......as I mentioned earlier....
IT'S ALL GOOD!!! :beer:
Soni

Attachments

eldgenb

Well, even thought this thread has gotten a "little off topic" lol, it is certainly all good and usefull information!

But since I would like to try to keep this Tech & Tips thread relevant to the M915 series trucks, I AM going to start a new, seperate thread with the M915-M920 Tech and Tips as the MAIN TOPIC, in order to maybe keep it a little more truck specific to those trucks.
Thanks to all of you for posting and the input......as I mentioned earlier....
IT'S ALL GOOD!!! :beer:
Soni
is that your current 916 or did you buy another one?

M920

is that your current 916 or did you buy another
one?

Don't worry Eldgen....It's the same one, the morning after I got it home and before I put the 1600R20s on it.....I wish I would have bought more then one....I could have sold mine 20 times over already!....Lol :beer:

Thanks again for the heads up....I will owe you forever....

Soni

M920

Sweet mods to the M870!
Thanks James,

The M870A1 is definately my favored trailer and the addition of the rear ramps made it even more versatile. We also installed an automatic pintle hitch with the necessary air gladhands and a 2"receiver for hitching up the lightweight "stuff".
I still got to make a lid for the rear chain & boomer box (it is nice to have the rear tie downs right there where you need them) and there are going to be two fold over ramps on the front of the goose neck, that will lay back on to the neck when not in use. This helps with additional clearence when making sharp turns. Also the new ramps will extend farther forward then the original goose neck, making it less of a step for vehicles to climb.
I will poste some pics of it, when I get it all done...... that of course could be a while...lol :roll:

Soni

reb87

There is no need to grind the drums to make the valve stem fit...Just grind the back down on the valve stem where it would contact the drum. I did this on my m919 and just did it for my 920 and have hauled many thousands of bushels of grain with no problems. I just ground on it and then put it in the rim and fitted it to the drum, then ground it some more etc.... Took a little time to make sure it was just right.
I also tried 5ton combat wheels on as I wanted more inside offset(the hemtt wheels stick out a few inches farther on the front then the rear) The combat wheels have a bigger grove for the oring and there is only about 1/16 inch clearance for the valve stem so I couldnt use them...

The hemtt wheel is so thick that it dosent work well using front style lug nuts to hold them on, you end up with a few threads less than a full lugnut. I use a cut off saw to cut the large end off of the thimble nut and then thread it on, put the hemtt wheel on that and then tighten down the outside nut on the wheel. Looks great and should be strong...

I am hauling corn with my m920 and getting 63 mph at 2200rpm(speed with gps, rpm from tach(could be off))

Last edited:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my M920 to the house (From Saginaw, TX). When I got there to pick it up, found that Transmission fluid had been drained. Supposedly had a leak, and for EPA concerns, they drain fluids from any vehicles with leaks. Any recommendations on what type of transmission fluid to use in the Houston area?

eldgenb

Just got my M920 to the house (From Saginaw, TX). When I got there to pick it up, found that Transmission fluid had been drained. Supposedly had a leak, and for EPA concerns, they drain fluids from any vehicles with leaks. Any recommendations on what type of transmission fluid to use in the Houston area?
30 wt engine oil.

runk

From the 1983 version of LO-2320-273-12, M915 series Lubrication Order:
22 qts of 10wt engine oil for above 32F (also -10 to 40, but arctic engine oil for below 0)

Note that there has been a lot of discussion on other threads about other auto transmission used by the military, the military recommended oil doesn't match the manufacture's recommendation, and the transmissions act a lot better with the manufacture's recommended fluid. (Mostly seen this in the M35A3 threads...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks