• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M553 10ton GOER Update

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Some good news on the home front (I hope).

Troy and Tony have the transmission/transfer etc. back in the GOER and as far as they can tell, everything looks good.

I guess the next step is to refill fluids etc. and fire the beast up and see what happens. We hope to do that within the next week...around Troy fixing the tow trucks etc.

We REALLY wanna get this rascal moving under it's own power as only 117 of these were made...and this one has serial # 1!!

AMGeneral can probably provide more history as it was previously his.

Just for hoots and giggles, I measured one of the tires today...65inches tall and about 20inches wide!!:beer:

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool PB! Take a video, i'd love to hear it run. That is the best thing to me, taking a piece of history that has been neglected for a bit and bringing it back to life to see, smell feel and hear the beast. Good job CAMO!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good so far.

If you get her running are you bringing her to the Georgia Rally in '11.

:)

sw

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin' good. A scrap yard guy I know had picked up a GOER Wrecker from a local community college south of here. I think they told him that if he could take it, he could have it. He drove it home on back roads! :)shock:) It was neat to look at. The 18.00x33 tires were huge! The college had removed the crane portion and welded the sides up.

Sadly, it is all torched up now. He kept the engine, transmission, transfer case, and winch. A buddy of mine got the pioneer rack and a data plate from it. I'll see if I can get some photos of the data plate. I really wish I had taken photos of it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
One of our members used to drive nationwide for a major trucking company. He swears he saw 3 of the wrecker GOERS in a scrapyard in Texas many years ago.

With only 117 of those rascals made, I sure would like to someway account for them and see how many are left.:driver:

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting! One of many interesting vehicles from the sixties. Love to see the details.
For some APG clips, see Vintage Video #VHS151 "Study in Vehicle Mobility".
Should be a few PS Magazine notes also (see link in my sig).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Yesterday about 13 of us met at the VFW for breakfast as usual then went to the compound to do GOER stuff.:beer:

Troy and Tony did GOER stuff while the rest of us BSed...er provided moral support.
They got all the linkage, lines, and hoses connected and we were ready to fire the beast up when I realized.."Hey...do we have enough hydro oil"??:lol:

The answer was no.
Major decision time here folks...do we drive about 1.5 miles and get hydro oil...or do we convoy to lunch, then to Fort Benning and gawk at the tanks and vehicles brought in from Fort Knox??:drool:

The road trip was fun..but not one of us took a camera..sorry:-(

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks