• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A1 LIVES, finally. vid link to the event

scooter01922

Hey there guys, a HUGE event occurred last Sunday. I FINALLY after much wrenching got the M35A1 to RUN. First time in 10-15-20 years..who knows, last sticker on the plate is 1993. Put a new injection pump on after removing the existing one twice, replacing a quill shaft, several new hyd heads and hours of head scratching failed to do it. New pump and she lit right off. Not sure what is wrong with the original IP, when i get the time i'll tear into it some snowy night and find out. Its got new injectors in there as well, not exactly sure of their intended use actually. Could be 5 ton, could be 2.5 single hole either way i really do have to figure that out. The original 2 hole injectors were crudded up from sitting so long and are in need of a rebuild to the tune of 400 bucks. Till i get that kind of spare cash i'll run what i have in there at the moment. Only for offroad plow duty clearing about a mile of private dirt road so i'm not too worried about cooking anything due to large injectors if they are 5 ton. Never actually been near a running lds 427 before this one. I have to say, it sounds FANTASTIC in person :) Holding a nice 60 lbs oil press at idle cold, its charging and making air. Exceptionally smokey though. Bit of a rolling cloud at ilde, more so than your average deuce. Got on it a bit in third gear high range and promptly obscured the entire road behind me with a huge black cloud:grd: Still no actual brakes so thats about as fast as i want to be going. Going to fix those real soon, just a blown front wheel cyl. The 11 foot highway plow is now mounted up and looks amazing. Fits the truck perfectly and clears about 6 inches wider than the rear duals. The pinging noises you hear in the vid are acorns being pitched at me by the rad fan. Stupid mice had hidden some under the rad and i didn't notice them at the time. Noticed them real fast when they were flying past my head as i was hanging out the cab to look for leaks ect. Hand throttle was not connected so had to keep foot on the petal initially so thats why the frequent rpm fluctuations as i moved around to see stuff. Without further stalling, here is the vid
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAnEDdq2Nmw[/media]More vids to come as soon as some snow flies. Plowing white and blowing black WOO HOO.

Last edited:

hdexpert

Glad to hear you finally got her running. I've been having the same issues trying to get my LDS deuce running right. Lots of smoke at idle and tons more when driving. No power, lots of diesel clacking when accelerating and it won't start without ether. I've had the HH off so many times I can do it in my sleep!!:(

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear you finally got her running. I've been having the same issues trying to get my LDS deuce running right. Lots of smoke at idle and tons more when driving. No power, lots of diesel clacking when accelerating and it won't start without ether. I've had the HH off so many times I can do it in my sleep!!:(

I had the same problem. My ip was 180 out. All of the marks lined up:doh: but I could not clearly see the red tooth on the hh gear (not lined up):doh:. I lined the engine marks up and spun the ip 1 revolution.. Now it runs great.

scooter01922

I hear you on the HH removal, you can get it down to a really short time span after the second or third time doing it. The IP isn't too bad after you have done that a few times as well. Now, lets hope i don't need to do either again anytime soon, LOL. For your issue it sounds a lot like a timing issue. The flange on the front of the IP that the actual drive gear bolts to is only a taper fit with one (i think its 7/8) nut keeping it tight. Of course to change my IP it took a 3 jaw puller and a lot of cursing to get that press fit off but its possible yours loosened up. If thats not the case....there are 3 bolts (9/16th wrench) that adjust the gear to flange relationship so you can time the pump to your engine when installing. If those loosened up it would let your timing slip more than enough to give you all kinds of issues. If your HH was truly to blame i would not expect ANY smoke, they are a delicate part that sort of works or doesn't and i can't see any way for one to overfuel you as you describe. Check the pump timing mark against the timing mark on the crank and go from there IMO. Could be an issue like uscgmatt has as well. Hopefully its an easy fix.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...........................Put a new injection pump on after removing the existing one twice, replacing a quill shaft, several new hyd heads and hours of head scratching failed to do it. New pump and she lit right off. Not sure what is wrong with the original IP, when i get the time i'll tear into it some snowy night and find out................................
What IP/ HH model numbers did you finally use?
Replacing several new hyd heads? Remember which #s ?

Not to long ago I learned (the hard way) that the plunger of the HD9065A head which comes on the 85EH, code "G" pump for the LDS427 is made about 1/4" longer at the lower end, compared to the ones in the heads for the code B, C, D and E pumps. So if you got one of the brand new AMBAC replacement heads currently available (model # HD90100A or HD90100AR) and put that in a G code pump it all fits well but simply won't work! To short - it lifts the plunger barely when you actually need about 5/16" stroke.

G.

scooter01922

Hmm, it was the original IP i was replacing and i believe to to be an early G code unit. The hyd heads i had tried were all of newer but not NEW production. Going to have to do some measuring when i get home from work, most of the "working, not, who knows" pile of parts is in the garage. Isn't it fun being a trailblazer??? :roll:

Boatcarpenter

Scooter,
It's been a long time coming but I'm glad you got her running. We knew she would from our gas soaked rag-in -the-air-intake tries when she lit right off but would not stay running.
Does the hydraulic pump for the plow work OK also?
Still have a couple of fenders for the 108 in my yard and they aren't frozen in either:wink:.
Nice going,
BC

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Not to long ago I learned (the hard way) that the plunger of the HD9065A head which comes on the 85EH, code "G" pump for the LDS427 is made about 1/4" longer at the lower end, compared to the ones in the heads for the code B, C, D and E pumps. So if you got one of the brand new AMBAC replacement heads currently available (model # HD90100A or HD90100AR) and put that in a G code pump it all fits well but simply won't work! To short - it lifts the plunger barely when you actually need about 5/16" stroke.

G.

GT, I was wondering about this. Is this the only HH that is longer? I saw that this and two other heads were listed as acceptable replacements for G code pumps. I wonder because I just got a new, not rebuilt, 9065a HH!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you find all the good stuff...:roll:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

G.
So if you install a LONG plunger HH on a SHORT plunger ip body, then fire up, you just might break something. ?????

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GT, I was wondering about this. Is this the only HH that is longer?!
Gimpy: wish I could tell you more about these...
Only know for sure that all code B; C; D; E & F pump heads come with the shorter plunger shaft.
Not sure about the HD90111A (--> code" A" pump, 8x8 LDS465-2)
For the "G" code IP the book really only shows two HHs: one is the HD9065A, the other one is a HD90113A (FSN 2910-871-5435) Ord. no. is the same for both.
Don't know about a possible third option...

.....just got a new, not rebuilt, 9065a HH!
You lucky dog!:)

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if you install a LONG plunger HH on a SHORT plunger ip body, then fire up, you just might break something. ?????
Ron: possible but... you are assuming someone would simply assemble it that way and install without previously test-rotate the pump.....???:smile:

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not too lucky if one of my spare IPs isn't a "G" code pump! The box it came in had some interesting print on it, wish it were still legible. I will try to get pics up soon.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only know for sure that all code B; C; D; E & F pump heads come with the shorter plunger shaft.
For the "G" code IP the book really only shows two HHs: one is the HD9065A, the other one is a HD90113A (FSN 2910-871-5435) Ord. no. is the same for both.

G.
So I can use a Code E HH on a Code B pump? I might be doing an injection pump swap soon and have a Code B pump with no HH, and my current Code E pump with an HH. I think my governor came apart so i have a HH on my Code E pump that works still.

rustystud

G.
Gringeltaube, where did you get all the information on the injection pumps and Hydraulic Heads ? Is there a special TM or something out there ?
Thanks,
rustystud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks