• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody ever use railroad to get GL buy home

466Navastar

Ive been watching the GL auctions and have been interested in some 5 tons - seems they are many time FAR away and having looked into trucking costs havent pulled the trigger mainly because the trucking is half again what the trucks cost

Was wondering if anyone has had a vehicle towed or driven to a railhead and sent home on a flatcar.....any info on this appreciated

Whitey

Never done that. There have been a number of flatcars for sale on GL this past month. Maybe if you buy the rail car AND a couple 5 tons, they'll ship it for free!!!

Bighurt

I considered that when I started bidding on the stuff coming out of Vegas. I live near a large yard with team tracks. Two trucks easily fit on an 85' flat, just not sure what the costs would be. Considering it would be $4+ for two trucks shipped via RGN, I think once you go over moving two trucks it maybe cheaper via rail. Particularly if both the location and destination have the facilities.

I have a quote awaiting BNSF action

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You have to be very careful buying railcars.....sometimes they are on abandoned tracks and cannot be moved to an active line.

Then there is the issue of bearings on the cars....you cannot move cars with older type bearings and before a railroad will move it it will have to be inspected. Also each time the car is switched there is a fee. You would also need a place to store your prize.

I started to buy a car off of an old Minuteman Missle Train in Florida a few years ago but when I researched the logistics and cost I bailed on it. I had previewed the car and it was pretty cool....it had been a guard car and had living quarters, a big jenny and other amenities.

When I was in the Army we shipped vehicles from Fort Benning, GA to Fort Irwin, CA, for a NTC rotation.

When our stuff arrived some of the tools had been stolen out of the OVM boxes and mirrors and windshields had been broken.

I don't think it would be cost effective unless you bought a lot of vehicles and had them shipped as "scrap" to keep down the cost.

Maybe our resident train expert "Ferro" can wade in and correct me if I misspoke.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
To ansewer your question CSX , BNSF , and many major roads will not ship a privately owned truck via their rail service. I called yesterday then they called me back. - Jay

Bighurt

To ansewer your question CSX , BNSF , and many major roads will not ship a privately owned truck via their rail service. I called yesterday then they called me back. - Jay
Since I own a few businesses I asked for quote under the label of the business. I'll post back to what I hear.

Bighurt

Nice, thats the way you can do it. For us guys ,guess were not big enough- Goodluck and post what you hear!
Assuming it work it doesn't take much to own your own business. Red and Black matters every 3 years and depending on the trade you can get grants.

Just because I have my own Businesses doesn't mean I'm big business. I have zero employees both are sole proprietor.

My intentions weren't to rub it in and like you, I'm full time active duty as well.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Oh ok , if your going with BNSF you might have a little more luck CSX shot me down fully, and they wanted contracts , like ex. one load per week type of stuff even if I had a bussiness. Let us know, you might be opening a door for cheaper hauling of MV's. I have always been told shippings real cheap but im told that loading and unloading is where they stick you.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have gotten quotes for several guys moving trucks across country. They will do it, but you have to load, and unload. I think the last quote I got was all the way across the country, and it was only $3800. But on an open flat, vandelism is a big problem, as cars sit in railyards for days sometimes.

Bighurt

Oh ok , if your going with BNSF you might have a little more luck CSX shot me down fully, and they wanted contracts , like ex. one load per week type of stuff even if I had a bussiness. Let us know, you might be opening a door for cheaper hauling of MV's. I have always been told shippings real cheap but im told that loading and unloading is where they stick you.
If I told you how much it costs to ship a fully loaded Inter-modal container, you'd crap yourself.

Railroads do one time shipments all the time and if there is no time-line it gets cheaper. The cost is cheaper because unlike trucks they move millions of lbs at a time not thousands. Very economical, I think CPR has a green link on its main page breaking down the costs.

What I was hoping to find is that one of the shippers for Gl has contracts with BNSF to move bulk freight. Alas nothing as of yet...

What would be better and it helps nothing for me out of Vegas or into Minot. But those of you with small railroads serving the local communities shortlines, and class 3 railroads, these will be far easier to work with because they already have a contract with the big boys to move freight for their customers. Although it adds a middle man the small guys are easier to work with and the boss is local making rubbing elbows an easier task.

When they ask for a flat nobody questions anything but when you ask for one time flat they have to pull out the red tape...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In 2001 when I mover to GA. from CA., I wented to bring my 52 M52 and my 43? m20 12t, and since I saw the adds for cost effective railroad shipping (NOT),I checked with the railroad, the price was so high if it was even possible as a non bussiness, the cost was higher then if I trucked. railroads and shippers didn't want to even talk to me as a NON BUSSINESS

Last edited:

Jones

Definately no to buying and using your own railcar. Even if you found one with a current air date and everything in good mechanical condition; the railroad(s) will charge you ($150.00 on the UP) every time they couple to or uncouple from your car. YOU are responsible for loading and securing your commodity to the railroad's specs.
You car is inspected by the car department in every terminal and any repairs deemed necessary are made and you get the bill... and they won't call you first with an estimate.
A break-down enroute will involve setting the car out in some siding and a repair trip from the closest car department (not covered by AAA).
Ferro and I could tell you numerous stories about lost cars, mis-routed cars, cars used as battering rams fo hammer other cars into a rail...
Even in an enclosed car, loads can break loose-- ask Ferro about 'excessive slack action'.

Lastly, I worked as a switchman for 37 years (SP then UP) and have seen how freight cars are handled in a railyard. I don't think I would ship any of my stuff by rail.

I've had my best luck with a shipping broker (Unishippers is my #1 pick). They're used to dealing with trucking companies, and will call around for the best price for you.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, Jones is correct. the best way to do it, if you were going to do it, would be to have an enclosed car, and the army's rail loading manual (I have one) You basically chock and strap a unit to the car, until you could turn the car upside down and shake it, and the item won't fall off. If you had a shortline at each end that would work with you, it could be done. All they would do is order the car (if you didn't have one) and you would still have to load it. And it could take weeks just going a few states over.

Yes, slack action. If you have a long enough train, with the right (or wrong?) type of equipment in it, and an inexperianced or noncaring engineer at the throttle, you can have the front end up to 10-15mph, and the rear sitting still. Then when the slack gets pulled out, each car is 'snapped' to 10-15mph, from a stand still. Not pretty and can really damage stuff inside. I've had a train 'pull apart' because of slack action.

I think you could do it, if you had a car that was in excellent shape, (or used the railroads, as they will fix their own car and not charge the consignee) a shortline at each end, and could strap the thing down really really good and didn't mind waiting on it a little while.

I own full size railcars, it gets EXPENSIVE to just have them moved from A to B. they will charge for every side move, and every little 'repair' they deem necessary. You can put a 'do not repair until owner is contacted' on the waybill, but they may or may not 'miss' that when they send you a bill for a couple of new axles and brake shoes...

With all the headaches involved, trucking is the better bet for moving MVs. And I hate to say that, being a railroader and all.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've loaded a bunch on railcars in my line of work. The bottom line is the railroad can be hard to deal with their regulations. That and the fact that vandals and graffiti artist love sitting railcars. Just the logistics getting it to and from the rail yard can be a pain. The railroad isn't really setup for one time loads and they charge accordingly.

If you wanted to try the rail I think the best way would be to get one of the container companies to move it. You'd have to find a way to stuff your truck into a container though. I have no idea what the price of this would be.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've loaded a bunch on railcars in my line of work. The bottom line is the railroad can be hard to deal with their regulations. That and the fact that vandals and graffiti artist love sitting railcars. Just the logistics getting it to and from the rail yard can be a pain. The railroad isn't really setup for one time loads and they charge accordingly.

If you wanted to try the rail I think the best way would be to get one of the container companies to move it. You'd have to find a way to stuff your truck into a container though. I have no idea what the price of this would be.

I can see a fledgling business plan hatching with this one....

"Duece in a Can" will soon be the MV version of Jack in the Box :mrgreen::beer:

goodguyzy

with $5+ a gallon gas on the horizon, trucking will become very expensive. I can see a great business opportunity. Start public shipping depots. Similar to UPS, take "small" items (trucks, cars, pallets of freight etc.) pack into shipping containers. truck to rail yard..... They probably already have these but i can see this being a major shipping option in most cities if what they say about rising fuel costs are correct.

We start the s.s.r.r we buy a few flat cars and get some small industrial lots spread around u.s.a with rail access and a loading dock with a nice parking field, unload and await pickup maybe a small warming shack for cold winter days up north!lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks