• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HO Scale Guntruck Conversion

WarrenD

I remember having one of the UH-1's many years ago, but it's long gone, let alone the extras. I don't need the mini-guns for this truck anyway, just 3 50 cals. I am very familiar with the UH-1B as I volunteer at an air museum for open cockpit days and work the Huey. I have re-enactor uniforms for a Huey pilot from early, mid and late Nam. The one we have has the combo pylon load of mini-guns and rockets.

WarrenD

I was at the Gathering last year and have photos of most all the trucks that were there. The current Herpa M54 "kit" doesn't have any mirrors with it nor did it have the aircleaner or exhaust which had to be scratch built. In my younger days, I wouldn't think twice about fab-ing a set of mirrors in HO, but the fingers aren't as nimble nor the hands as steady as they used to be.

The guns came in and there are 2 sprues of guns, so what shows in the Herpa catalogue is half of what you get!

WarrenD

Thanks. No, the stack stays, took a while to put it in according to my photos! Yes, I have a name, Satan's Lil Angel.

Gun Trucker

HO gun truck

After reading the thread below on the HO scale deuce, I was looking thru the Herpa (formerly Roco) offerings in HO and came across a M54 (5 Ton) and they were on sale. I had my dealer order one and it came in yesterday. I've already started converting it to a guntruck, I'll need to decide which one pretty soon but for now the prep is the same.
For anyone else wanting to do this, it doesn't seem too bad, though you will be doing some scratchbuilding.
The first pic is the M54 out of the box. Remove the bed cover, spare and troop seats. Next, cut off the stake sides and spare tire carrier. Then fill the holes in the bed. This is where I'm at right now and after the putty dries, I'll be back to work. I removed the bed from the truck, it's easier to work on that way. I'll post updates as progress continues.
Here's my HO scale model of King Kong I did about 8 years ago.

Gun Trucker (James)

Attachments

WarrenD

Very nice James. I still have to get mine finished, decals and the little things. Life got in the way over the last few months...it happens.

Gun Trucker

HO gun truck conversion

Very nice James. I still have to get mine finished, decals and the little things. Life got in the way over the last few months...it happens.
Thanks, I think the worst part was getting the grille modified to look like a 5-ton with the opening for the hood release. 1/87th scale is a real strain on my eyeballa. I'd much rather work with 1/35th scale.

Gun Trucker (James)

Attachments

Gun Trucker

HO gun truck conversion

Is that you James..L??
Beautiful model of a beautiful truck!:beer:
P.S...love that DS patch in yer avatar!!
Hi Larry, yea, it's me. Thank you, I appreciate that. I also just posted a picture of the 1/35th scale King Kong I did about ten years ago.

Glad you like the avatar. I couldn't decide on one so I went with the DS logo since I was a basic training drill sergeant at Ft Polk back in 72-73. Hope everything's going well with you.

Gun Trucker (James)

Model and Scale Replica's

Here are two websites that can be checked out. On the realmodel site you can type in on the search block such as M62 Wrecker,etc and come up with more kits (1/35 scale.) Hope this helps!!) The sites are: Real model, Hobby Search Military Store Hobby Search PVC Anime Figures Store elkhunter
Both of these sites will work as far as I know. On the Hobby Search websiteclick on the box marked military.

Last edited:

Gun Trucker

1/35TH SCALE kING kONG

That 1/35 version is super sweet! I wish I could do work like that.....

Thanks, I made that long before any 5-ton kits were available from Real Model. I used the Italeri M925 and a cheap M113 kit. A lot of scratch building, molding and casting went into this one. The Okinawan cupola is scratch built also.

Gun Trucker (James)

WarrenD

Thanks, I made that long before any 5-ton kits were available from Real Model. I used the Italeri M925 and a cheap M113 kit. A lot of scratch building, molding and casting went into this one. The Okinawan cupola is scratch built also.

Gun Trucker (James)
I figured that when you said you built it 10 years ago. IIRC, the Real Model stuff is only a few years old. I'm ok with some scratch building, but molding and casting are way beyond. The level of detail is amazing, again, great job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks