• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REplaced a Steering Box on a 5 ton today. Series M809.

R Racing

I did a search For 5 ton M809 or M813,M814, M816, M817 , M818, M819 , M820 ,Steering box replacment So I decided to give you a heads up if you ever need to do 1. It was more involved than I initially though due to a hidden bolt. I first removed the Steering box cover, Then removed lines from the steering box. You have to go in the cab and loosen the both upper and lower steering colum bolts ( they are 2, 1 per hinged clamp, You may also have to remove the amphinal connector from the turn signal assy). Then remove the steering shaft from the gear box.Then Take off the 2 1/8 inch nut that holds the pitman arm on.You will most likely need a large 2 jaw puller and a impact to remove arm ( The splined shaft on the gear box is tapered and there very tight, I don't recommend a tourch due to Mine was leeking badly and didn't want to set my truck on fire). There are 4 bolts that hold the Steering box on. The Top 2 are excessable from under the hood.The top 2 and bottom 2 bolts are safety wired together in pairs. You need a 1 1/8 box wrench on the top 2 and a second wrench to put on the first to get extra leverage to take them loose. The Rear lower backwards one can be removed with a wrachet or small inpact gun. Now were the fun begins !!!!! To get to the front bottom bolt you need to pull the radiator out ! To do so first drain it by the pet cock on the bottom drivers side. ( Mine drained out about 8 gallons). Under the radiator support is 2 studs, You need to remove the 2 each 3/4 nuts from the studs ( I recommend using a rust penatrant and soak before you try and remove them) . Then take the 2 bolt out of the upper mount.Then Remove the long small hose from the top of the radaitor. then remove the top hose clamp from the hose and care fully wiggle your radiator loose . Then lean it forward to the grill. remove radiator fan ( No need to remove the radiator shrouds , But its a bit of a tight fit to lift the fan out).Then remove the clamp from the Lower radiator hose ( I took it off the raditor side. But wonder if it were easier to leave it on there and remove it from the engine since the radiator side has little access?) Now the radiator needs to be lifted out carefully ( Its very heavy, I used a "C" Clamp on the upper bracket and used a hoist to lift it out).Now you have access to the last front lower bolt. You have room for a impact gun to that bolt from under the front of the grill. Re ASSY in reverse And make sure you clean the splines good on both your gear box shaft and your pitman arm before re assembling. Also my coolant looked like new in the expansion tank . But when I went to drain it I had at least 3 gallons of sludge that came out first so I bought all new coolant. You also need about a gallon of Dextron or 10 weight oil If I read the manual right. I went with Dextron.When you go to install the pitman arm there is a faint allignment mark to the shaft. I hope I covered this well. My gear box for some reason was leaking out of the vent hole below the adjuster nut and screw. ! other note if your not familure with this type of steering box, When you turn the steering shaft it moves in and out about a 1/4 to 5/16 of a inch as you turn it left and right. THATS NORMAL. Thats how the spool opens and closes to send oil to the hydraulic cylinder. I hope this helps you. I went into this one blind.

Jim

R Racing

Thanks all ! When I get some time I'm going to rebuild the old and get a list of parts incase anyone needs it for in the future,I have yet to see a rebuild kit available for the 5 tons.

Jim

R Racing

I didnt bring a camara that day ( Took it to a 100000 SQ FT Shop to do the work in since they had a crane and a bit of heat since it was snowing that day) I thought it was going to be a 2 hr easy job. I'll take Pic's of the Rebuild of the old box though.

Jim

Autocar

Each time I do some repair work, I am constantly amazed at how such a big truck with wide open spaces can be so hard to work on due to clearance/inaccessability issues like you found with the steering box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks