• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3kw gas genset carb questions

peyton

Hi all,
When I first got this MEP16A a couple of months ago, it would start and seemed to run ok altho I never let it run for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Just long enough to see that it wasn't putting out any power.

Lately tho I've been having trouble getting the 4a032 engine to run for more than 15 or 20 seconds at a time. I thought maybe the fuel pump had died but putting on a clear fuel line showed that it was indeed pushing gas to the carb. Thinking, then, that the float/valve might be stuck closed, imagine my surprise to find the carb bowl full and puddles of gas in the intake manifold. I think this indicates the engine is flooding because the float/valve is stuck (or misadjusted) open. Does this seem right?

Therefore does anyone have any carb rebuild/adjustment information ... cutaway drawings, float height setting, etc.?

I will be ordering a new carb from Saturn but I want to fix this one to understand how it works. Thanks

Peyton

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the manuals for the 4A032 engine? Its in the TM section TM 9-2805-262-14 and TM 9-2805-262-24P. I'm sure those will net you the pics you need. Check them and report back. BTW, figure out the no power source?

peyton

Re: RE: 3kw gas genset carb questions

Recovry4x4 said:
Do you have the manuals for the 4A032 engine? Its in the TM section TM 9-2805-262-14 and TM 9-2805-262-24P. I'm sure those will net you the pics you need. Check them and report back. BTW, figure out the no power source?
Kenneth,

I have downloaded and printed the manuals but I haven't been able to find anything other than unit replacement info ... no carb internal maintenance/adjustment data. Perhaps I missed it somehow, I'll check again.

As far as the no power goes, no, haven't figured it out yet. I'm hoping it is the power transistor mentioned in several posts ... already picked up a few off eBay. If thats not it, at least I'll have spares;-)

Peyton

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: 3kw gas genset carb questions

The carb is pretty simple to pull apart, clean and adjust. Honestly though, for the price of a new one, its almost not worth even messing with it. Buy 2, and have a spare ;-) The carb on these engines seems to be the downfall. Mostly due to poorly filtered fuel I suspect.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: 3kw gas genset carb questions

I'll be darned. Even the 24P doesn't show a single part for carb repair. Perhaps as Mike said they are throw aways. The procuring cost in the surplus market sure indicates such. As far as no power, every MEP-016 I've deal with that has no juice is the tansistor in the regulator. I've never tasked the transistor replacement, always had an extra regulator hanging about. Filtering is an issue on the mil standard gensets and the 3KW fuel pumps aren't that great either. I would considering having one of them on hand as well.

peyton

Re: RE: Re: RE: 3kw gas genset carb questions

Recovry4x4 said:
I'll be darned. Even the 24P doesn't show a single part for carb repair. Perhaps as Mike said they are throw aways. The procuring cost in the surplus market sure indicates such. As far as no power, every MEP-016 I've deal with that has no juice is the tansistor in the regulator. I've never tasked the transistor replacement, always had an extra regulator hanging about. Filtering is an issue on the mil standard gensets and the 3KW fuel pumps aren't that great either. I would considering having one of them on hand as well.
This carb has definitely been "tinkered with" at some point ... screwdriver marks, head twisted off jet adjustment (i'm just guessing that this is what the brass piece sticking up in the middle of the carb is) and so on. I was hoping to use this carb to learn on in case I ever really need to fix one in the future. I'm sure the rebuild kits (of which Saturn is sold out) has the adjustment info I'm looking for. I have ordered a replacement carb and a fuel pump, should get them next week. I'll put an in-line fuel filter on as well. Thanks

ps: do you know what the bleeder screw just above the choke lever is for? I can't find it referenced anywhere in the TMs.

Peyton

peyton

Re: RE: Re: RE: 3kw gas genset carb questions

mangus580 said:
The carb is pretty simple to pull apart, clean and adjust. Honestly though, for the price of a new one, its almost not worth even messing with it. Buy 2, and have a spare ;-) The carb on these engines seems to be the downfall. Mostly due to poorly filtered fuel I suspect.
This carb has been abused/adjusted in the past and I wonder what the correct adjustments are supposed to be. I suspect the rebuild kits (of which Saturn is sold out) have the adjustment info in them. Anybody out there have one?

I know you are right about replacement and I have ordered both a carb and fuel pump and will install an inline fuel filter as well. Thanks

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks