• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Picture Thread

67_C-30

I did a search and could not find a picture thread for M880's, so I decided I'd post one. I thought it would be cool to have a central picture thread for M880's and all variants. A lot of other forums I'm have these and great to place to get ideas and see different trucks in all different colors, condition, etc. I'll start by posting my newly acquired M880, and a few others that I've found on the net (I don't think these are anybody's here, but I'll take them off if they are!) It would especially cool to see some old pictures and pictures of them in stock as delivered form if anybody had any. I look forward to seeing your trucks!

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
1977 M885 with S250 shelter and H1 wheels, 1977 M890 with troop seats and cargo cover. Both memorial day at Kansas City's Liberty Memorial. M885 bring the S250 shelter home.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As lothe as I am to start another project I can't get the picture of the 880 near me out of my mind. I may pop over there this weekend and check it out.

Since diesel is headed into the stratosphere and I need a full sized truck (that is smaller than the deuce) I am considering the 880.

Did I read somewhere that these are full time four wheel drive?

That would make fuel milage suck....right?

If it is full time how hard is it to make it selectable?

I like the 318 and the idea of a truck without a lot of electronic crapola on it.

Are these trucks less prone to electrical gremlins than the Chevys?

67_C-30

As lothe as I am to start another project I can't get the picture of the 880 near me out of my mind. I may pop over there this weekend and check it out.

Since diesel is headed into the stratosphere and I need a full sized truck (that is smaller than the deuce) I am considering the 880.

Did I read somewhere that these are full time four wheel drive?

That would make fuel milage suck....right?

If it is full time how hard is it to make it selectable?

I like the 318 and the idea of a truck without a lot of electronic crapola on it.

Are these trucks less prone to electrical gremlins than the Chevys?
Yeah, the full time 4X4 system does make them a little hoggish and it saps power as well. It is easily to change them over, but the M880's D44 front axle doesn't have normal hubs, so the kit repplaces them, and it makes it pricier than doing a Chevy or Ford. The kit to do it is $500, but includes everything. You can buy a kit to just make the transfer case selectable for around $100, but the front axles will still turn. As cheap as you can get these trucks, and reliable as the 318/727's are, is still worth it to do it. Below is a pic of the kit and links to buy and a good article on installing it.

On the electrical system, mine is a standard 12V set-up, and should be pretty trouble free. They still have points, so a HEI swap would probably be a good upgrade, but not neccessary.

Offroad Exchange - MileMarker Dodge PT Conversion

Mile Marker 603 - Mile Marker Transfer Cases - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Attachments

nattieleather

Not to bust anyones buble here, but looking at the kit picture and the wrigth up on how to do the conversion I couldn't help but notice that the kit is set up for 5 lug axle and not an 8 lug axle like the M880 is. In my research there does not seem to be an 8 lug kit out there. This could pose a small problem.

Also and this is just personal preference, but the M880 IMHO doesn't look right in 3 color nato cammo. It looks best in the old 4 color cammo. Maybe because that's how they looked when they were in service and I remember them being that way. Just my thoughts no more no less... :)

67_C-30

Not to bust anyones buble here, but looking at the kit picture and the wrigth up on how to do the conversion I couldn't help but notice that the kit is set up for 5 lug axle and not an 8 lug axle like the M880 is. In my research there does not seem to be an 8 lug kit out there. This could pose a small problem.

Also and this is just personal preference, but the M880 IMHO doesn't look right in 3 color nato cammo. It looks best in the old 4 color cammo. Maybe because that's how they looked when they were in service and I remember them being that way. Just my thoughts no more no less... :)
There are 2 different kits from Milemarker. P/N 602 is 5 lug and P/N 603 is the 8 lug setup. You're right though, the article shows a 5 lug and I should have noted that.

goodbrewing

I converted my M886 to locking hubs by getting a newer donor axle and swapping out from the ball joints out to the newer locking set up. I used new ball joints and brake rotors but my almost new calipers from the 886 worked fine with the newer parts. I put the Milemarker kit into the transfer case and it has worked great for years. I did mine for highway driving. Didn't notice much change in MPG but front drive parts last longer now.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
wreckerman893 they are all 30+ years old, I have 3 and not one of them has a reliable working fuel gauge . Everything else tronic is fixable and all the other spark'in and wire stuff is still at your local NAPA along with all the other parts except they quit carrying the Y pipe for the exhaust last year. The 890's are 4X2 and get better gas milage and go faster, lower to the ground and easier for us gray hairs to get into!. I have not done the selectable route and seems to be a lot of parts and time. Have done the power steering up-grade it was a one weekend, one trip to junk yard, one helper and less than 0ne case of beverage job!

Last edited:

67_C-30

wreckerman893 they are all 30+ years old, I have 3 and not one of them has a reliable working fuel gauge . Everything else tronic is fixable and all the other spark'in and wire stuff is still at your local NAPA along with all the other parts except they quit carrying the Y pipe for the exhaust last year. The 890's are 4X2 and get better gas milage and go faster, lower to the ground and easier for us gray hairs to get into!. I have not done the selectable route and seems to be a lot of parts and time. Have done the power steering up-grade it was a one weekend, one trip to junk yard, one helper and less than 0ne case of beverage job!
The fuel gauge is the only thing that doesn't work in mine as well!-lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks