• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce-Texas Title/Registration Question

MojaveRider

I'm currently planning to go look at a bobbed deuce this weekend, and I wanted to get some opinions on the title/registration situation. The truck was bobbed by One Hundred Dollar Man in CA. The SF97 is in his name. It comes with an Oklahoma title, and I believe it has never been registered in Texas.

I've done a lot of reading about Texas FMV registration, and I wasn't sure how the bobbing affected FMV registration. I could see myself driving it to work and such, so I'm worried that FMV might not be the way for me to go. Does bobbing it lower the GVWR? If so, it seems like going the regular plate/inspection/title would be the best option, especially if the bobbing drops the GVWR to a reasonable level.

Has anyone else registered a bobbed deuce as a FMV, or is a regular non-commercial truck the way to go?

Thanks.

runk

On the other hand it's no problem to register a Deuce as a regular pickup type truck in Texas. Since I did not want to skirt the restrictions on use, that is how mine is registered.

MojaveRider

On the other hand it's no problem to register a Deuce as a regular pickup type truck in Texas. Since I did not want to skirt the restrictions on use, that is how mine is registered.
My only worry with that is paying very high registration due to the high weight. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay to register it? Is it registered as a medium duty truck or just a pickup?

runk

Just a pickup (generic Texas truck plates, if you look around a lot of the smaller box trucks and flatbeds have the same plates), that class is good to 26,000lbs GCVW. It is by weight. I'm not sure what the total was, but it wasn't unreasonable (I want to say ~$250 for 2 years ?). Ask any one with a F350, they have GCVWs that are slightly higher.

MojaveRider

Just a pickup (generic Texas truck plates, if you look around a lot of the smaller box trucks and flatbeds have the same plates), that class is good to 26,000lbs GCVW. It is by weight. I'm not sure what the total was, but it wasn't unreasonable (I want to say ~$250 for 2 years ?). Ask any one with a F350, they have GCVWs that are slightly higher.
Ah, excellent, that is probably the way to go. Thanks for your help!

Barrman

REO actually made a 4x4 Duece truck. XM247 I think. So, registering a bobed Duece is still in the spirit of the law.

With the FMV registration, you pay for 5 years at once, need no plates and no inspection. Just the bumper numbers. If you are driving it to work everyday, local law enforcement might catch on and ask you about that. However, they might think it is neat and leave you alone. Only you can answer if you want to deal with that.

My thread linked to above pretty much covers how to register as a FMV.

Motorcar

I registered mine as just a big pickup. Had a scale ticket showing the actual wieght of the truck empty and then you designate it's total loaded capacity on the registration form. Regular tags because I drive it all over the place including to work for giggles. Renewal is $168 if memory serves me, initial fees are greater of course.

MojaveRider

I went and looked at the truck yesterday, but I didn't buy it because I just don't fit in the cab. The pedals are much to close, and the steering wheel is way to big. I drove it around the block but there's no way I could drive it for any kind of distance. :sad:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks