• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

YES, There IS (maybe) a Deuce Spin On Oil Filter Adapter

houdel

For all of you out there looking to install spin on oil filters on their Deuces, I have found a ray of hope for you! In my quest to find a way to adapt the Amsoil BMK-13 full flow/bypass remote filter kit to my Deuce (posted at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6656 ), I sent a request to Amsoil asking if they had an adapter that would work with the Deuce. The short answer is no, they don't have an adapter for the BMK-13 to fit the Deuce, but there IS a spin on filter adapter which MAY work for the Deuce! Here is the answer I got back from Amsoil:

"In response to your inquiry, you can convert to a Spin On filter using Baldwin Part # OB1303 or Hastings KF38 adaptor. The filter then will be Donaldson Endurance # ELF7670 (available from AMSOIL). Unfortunately, our ByPass Kits do not adapt to this thread size, which is 1 ½” x 12.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely, Byron Selbrede

AMSOIL Technical Service"

I did a search on the Baldwin site for the OB1303 adapter. Go to http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/, enter OB1303 in the part number box, click the "Baldwin Search" radio button, then click on "X Reference". That will bring up another page of applications for that part number. Click on any of the part numbers in the "Baldwin" column and it will bring up a description of the part. It is an adapter for a Detroit Diesel engine. Can't tell from the description if it is an exact fit for the Deuce or not, but it may a better starting point than some of the other ideas posted.

I priced the OB1303 adapter at B-Line Filter http://www.blinefilter.com/, the price is $50.51. Good luck and happy hunting to you spin on filter folks, if anyone cares to try it out let us know how it works!

ah1955

YES,There IS (maybe) a Deuce Spin On Filter Adapter

I posted the Baldwin adapter #OB1303 and spin on filter# B95 or B96 back on 7/06/06
At work we use all Baldwin filters so there are my choice becouse price and easy for me to order and have delivered to the shop.
The cataloge appl. says for Detroit so the first thing would be to check the Detroit appl.
to see how they mount(upside down, right side up) would need to know if filters are drain back or check valved.I think our master cataloge has all the spec. on the filters will check.
If the Detroit mounts the filters can up the spin on may not have a check valve to stop drain back so if mounted upside down you would get a dry start ever time.

houdel

ah1955 - I guess great minds think alike. I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on this topic yet. There was a lot of discussion a while back about how to mount a spin on filter to the Deuce. Guys were trying how to figure out how to custom machine a fitting to replace the stock cannister rod to mate to a spin on filter, etc. Guess they finally gave up on it.

Still have no idea if the Detroit adapter will mount to the Deuce filter base though. But if it does, and the Detroit filter has a check valve so the oil doesn't drain back, then that would be an advantage. But if the Detroit filter doesn't have a check valve and the oil drains back then I don't see any advantage over the stock cannister filters.

That is why I am trying to figure out how to mate the Amsoil BMK-13 to the Deuce filter base. Then you'd have a spin on filter mounted can down, so you don't have a dry start, plus a bypass filter to clean the soot out of the oil so engine wear is reduced by about 90% or so.

Keep me informed on what you find out. Next oil change I'll measure up the filter base and the bolt and adapter bushing sizes, maybe I'll be able to figure out a way to get that BMK-13 to fit somehow!

houdel

ah1955 - I've done a bit of searching on the Baldwin web site (I like Baldwin filters too). From what I've found, the OB1303 adapter will accept Baldwin fitler #s B95, B95-MPG, B96, B96-MPG, B105, B196, B196-MPG and B205. Can you find out if any of these filters are anti drain back filters so they can be mounted to the OB1303 base upside down (threaded end down) and not drain back so we can avoid the dry start condition?

houdel

Well don't get too excited just yet. I'm still trying to find out if the OB1313 adapter is an exact fit, or just a close fit. If is a close fit, chances are some minor machining of the adapter bushing will make it work. Then there is the problem of finding an anti drain back filter. IMHO, the only significant advantage to converting to spin on filters is finding one that doesn't drain back so you don't have that "dry start" waiting for the cannisters to refill when you fire up the engine.

ah1955

did some checking in Baldwin cataloge at work today and found out that the spin on adpt.
OB1303 that is listed for the P20HD appl. on Detroit is for the older 6-71's which mount the
filter up right.Now the next question would be how much difference is there in the mount,
the deuce being upside down has what seems like a well under the filter into the block would have to get a good look at the Detroit mount it may be more straight into the filter
carterage and right out ,this might keep the adpt. from sealing. Needs a little more resarch.
As far as all the different spin on #'s I could not find the appl. cataloge at work so could not check which have full flow, anti drain back, or other details, will try to find book tomarrow,can say that some of the difference is outside diam. which could come in to play when using a pair that are close together.

houdel

RE: YES,There IS (maybe) a Deuce Spin On Filter Adapter

I got all the dimensions off the Baldwin site, all were either 4-11/16" or 4-21/32" in diameter, a difference which don't amount to a pee hole in the snow as far as I am concerned. The must have some pretty sophisticated measuring equipment to measure a stamped steel can to 1/32", these are not real precision parts so I'm sure the normal process variation is at least that much. Height ranged from 8-3/32" to 11-9/32". All were listed as full flow. Most were identified as "Microlite Extended Life", MPGs are "Maximum Performance Glass", all are 1-1/2x12 thread. Some also listed compatability with OB1368 and OB1369 spin on bases which are for Cummins engines. Prices at B-Line Filter ranged from $13.62 for the B95 to $30.64 for the B196-MPG. None of them were identified as check valve or drain back construction. B-Line has the OB1303 base for $50.51, can you do any better than that? A Baldwin look-up for the P20-HD element recommends the OB1303 and B95 filter for conversion to spin-on. Hope this helps. -- Lee

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What a mess it would be to change them suckers if they don't drain back.

rizzo

the filters(NAPA gold) I buy have a rubber check valve in the filter itself.

houdel

Rizzo - So does that mean you get oil pressure right away when you start your engine (i.e., your filters don't drain back into the crankcase like the stock cannister filters)? What filter part number are you using? What adapter are you using to convert the filter base from cartridge filters to spin on filters? How do you drain the filters when doing a filter change so you don't get oil from the filters running down the side of your engine?

devilman96

I hate to be the bearer of this but that adapter plate will not thread into a Deuce. Wix / Napa make the same job that fits Cummings and Detroit's, it uses a solid bolt (1/2 or 9/16) to bolt through the adapter plate into the filter housing. LDTs are what? 7/8 14 thread I think? Ether way the bolt would be far larger than the adapter plate could take... Re machining it would be possible but if you have that kinda equipment (and I do) its really easier to start off with at 5 dia piece of round and just make it the right way vs. modifying someone else's part that is close.

ah1955

was not sure of the mounting dimentions on the 6-71 detroit block, know that would be the
issue that could kill the whole idea, not only could mounting bolt size be a problem but I was worried that the oil passage routing and the filter flow pattern would not be compatable or the flange would not seal up to the adapter.
did check our Baldwin cat. and found there # B7241 has all the same dim. (O.D. length, and 1 1/2 X 12 thread) as #B95 which is one of the ones that the OB1303 adpt. calls for and is an anti drain back. all for nothing now I guesse.

houdel

Well, lets not give up quite yet. ah1955 has found an anti drain back filter that fits the OB1303 base, that solves 1/2 of the problem.

Devilman96, I don't understand your message. You said "it uses a solid bolt (1/2 or 9/16) to bolt through the adapter plate into the filter housing. LDTs are what? 7/8 14 thread". I think you are talking about two different things here. The 7/8"-14 thread is the hollow oil return bolt in the center of the filter base, part #3 in the Deuce oil filter base pic. In the case of OB1303 it becomes the 1-1/2"-12 hollow stud that the filter mounts to, so where does this 1/2 or 9/16 solid bolt go? Obviously NOT in the center of the adapter, if that were the case, where is the oil going to go?

I guess we need more detailed info on the OB1303 base itself. The picture on the Baldwin site is not very informative, maybe they can send me some more info.

Attachments

houdel

Devilman96, you have me doubley confused. In the posting "Spin on fliters... time to do some trading!!", http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=58124, you said:

"My suggestion would be to use a NAPA 1970 or even better a NAPA 1970XE and again, even better a 1970XD all of which are the same filters but with higher and higher ratings. The XD's are the way to go and have a 40,000 mile rating, using these and synthetic oil your next oil change would be due in about the year 2020...All use a 1.5-12 thread and are used with the kit I mentioned above...You MAY be able to buy the kit and adapt the base plate to a LDT by having a bushing machined for the correct thread sizes."

What "kit I mentioned above" are you talking about? I couldn't find it anywhere in the thread.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone know what the thread is for part number 11 in the above diagram? The thread for the adapter to the oil mount casting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks