• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uses for Deuces

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today was a bag of hygiene products, a nice pair of socks, a deck of playing cards and a bunch of yummy snacks.
Socks are priceless! I know quite a few times as a young Marine, I’d have greatly appreciated some nice socks (non-horrible wool socks). The absolute best socks I’ve found are Thorlos. The ones I’m wearing now I’ve had for over five years. Make sure you use fabric softener and they’ll last a loooong time!

Another Ahab

Socks are priceless! I know quite a few times as a young Marine, I’d have greatly appreciated some nice socks (non-horrible wool socks). The absolute best socks I’ve found are Thorlos.
Thanks, jeffhuey1n, on your recommendation here I just bought two 3-paks!

Funny, because there is a famous WWII story about General Patton and socks.

rustystud

Socks are priceless! I know quite a few times as a young Marine, I’d have greatly appreciated some nice socks (non-horrible wool socks). The absolute best socks I’ve found are Thorlos. The ones I’m wearing now I’ve had for over five years. Make sure you use fabric softener and they’ll last a loooong time!
I used Thorlos in the Marines also ! Great socks. Especially on those lovely 20 mile nature walks the Marines so love !

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Thorlos in the Marines also ! Great socks. Especially on those lovely 20 mile nature walks the Marines so love !
Wish I had them when I was still in the Marines. All we were allowed to wear were those garshdarned green wool socks. Add them black leather combat boots and it was a real pain, literally.

ToddJK

Past few months, I've been specifically using my deuce to go grocery shopping. I like to shop and get enough goods for a couple weeks at a time and a family of five, that's a cart full. With wind, rain, and snow, the cargo cover keeps it all dry and no worries of stuff blowing out from the wind. Using the ladder turned sideways up against my IBC tote keeps things from sliding towards the front and with a hoe inside, I don't have to reach hard to get anything. Only downside is when I have a bunch of frozen stuff and it's 90°F out, someone wants to talk to me about the truck and it's not a 2 minute conversation, lol. So adding a cooler to put the refrigerated and frozen goods in has helped tremendously. Another upside, there's no way to forget where I parked🤷

rustystud

Wish I had them when I was still in the Marines. All we were allowed to wear were those garshdarned green wool socks. Add them black leather combat boots and it was a real pain, literally.
After boot we were allowed to use whatever we wanted as long as they were Olive Drab color. Of course for locker inspections you used the stupid "green wool socks" issued to you. Along with your polished boots that never got used except for inspections !

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After boot we were allowed to use whatever we wanted as long as they were Olive Drab color. Of course for locker inspections you used the stupid "green wool socks" issued to you. Along with your polished boots that never got used except for inspections !
I do remember the inspection boots. They were kept in the wall locker in the barracks and only removed for inspection. As a Crew Chief, I was issued flight boots, which always looked like they were polished with a snickers bar. They took a beating! Whenever we had a formation, we’d get a can of gloss black and spray them into a high gloss shine. They looked okay as long as you didn’t walk around. When I joined the Air Force I asked about inspection boots. They looked at me as if I were some kind of alien.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks