• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Former marine M1030B1 recovery

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
marine M1030B1 recovery and rebuild

When I found out that another member suboms had a couple of former Marine KLR650's for sale that was within a days drive from here in southern MO. I checked the bank, borrowed a trailer and took off. The good thing was the snow had melted off the roads but couldn't find a buddy to make the trip. Stopped for soda just before getting to Scott's and remembered I had forgotten straps, a quick stop at the local Wallyworld solved the problem. I was only planning on buying one but Scott offered a great deal on 2 so I now have 2. Loaded up and headed back, I was so stoked I forgot to fill up with gas! By the time I figured it out I was in the middle of nothing, It is amazing how when full it takes forever for the pointer to move, but below an 1/8 you can watch it move. I must live a good life because my truck sputtered and died as I coasted to the pumps. Scott had gotten all my cash and at first the pump would not take my card but the lady inside would, saved again. Rest of the trip was uneventful.

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:mrgreen: as much as they scare me i think having a motorcycle would be awesome. good find
I am at that age were I no longer bounce but break. I have not been on a scooter since the 80's but with snow on the ground I drove one around today and felt great! [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"rofl[/FONT]

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Faster than I want to go! I have only had mine up to 50 as I don't have the winter bike gear. It has only been above freezing one afternoon since I got them.
Engine Single Cylinder, Water Cooled, Four-Stroke, DOHC, 4 valves Compression ratio 9.5 : 1 Top speed approx. 108 mph (174 km/h) Power 44 bhp (33 kW) more like 35bph at the wheel
Suspension Telescoping fork, Uni-Trak swingarm Dimensions L 2,165 mm (85.2 in)
Weight 176 kg (390 lb) (dry)
182 kg (400 lb) (wet) Fuel capacity 6.6 US gal (23 l; 5.1 imp gal) Oil capacity 2.6 U.S. quarts (2.5 L)

usafe7ret

Generally, stock gearing on the KLR 650 tops out around 80mph. If you change the front and rear sprockets, you can increase the top end.

Not sure what the military surplus price is but the civvy models in good running condition and complete go for around 1600 and up depending on year and accessories.

These were in decent condition but not sure if the seats came with them. Also some have additional lighting on them for blackout and IR as well.

Good find. I would love to have one of those bikes. I have a table lift just waiting for a rebuild project on a KLR or Honda XR/XL street model thumper.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do you plan to sell one?
Not at this time, my wife wants one, so I have sent off for the lowering links and smaller seat. Glad I got 2 as I no longer get to drive my M38A1 after she drove it and found it to be a "dude" magnet! That is also why I never told her the M818 power steering.

1958 M274

Congrats on your new acquisition! I just put mine back together about a month ago. As for the question about top speed, I have a spec sheet from Hayes Diversified Technologies that lists the top speed as "in excess of 105 MPH". I've only had mine up to about 50, so I can't really say first hand...

Here's a video from riding it on a fun road late last summer... :driver:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rN9YWNAKc[/media]

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Finally got some time to rebuild one. I have been taking parts to work and using my luch break to rebuild, restore and paint. I used Krylon camo sand as it matched a NOS part I had completely. Still not done as I have to get a seat redone in desert, one on the bike now is off one of my USMC bikes.

Attachments

Last edited:

big block 88

Man that is cool as can be. Excellent purchase, I would love to have one of those for my DD and save on gas $$

What year are they??

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks