• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying 6.2 Engine

67_C-30

There is a casting number on left rear side of the block where the transmission mounts. There is also a date code that will be something like "D 15 4" or "G 20 6". The first letter is the date : A = January, B = February, and so forth. The first number (or pair of numbers), and the last number is the last digit of the year. For example, "D 15 4" would be April, 15th 1984

Your block should be 14022660, if original.

Last edited:
There is a casting number on left rear side of the block where the transmission mounts. There is also a date code that will be something like "D 15 4" or "G 20 6". The first letter is the date : A = January, B = February, and so forth. The first number (or pair of numbers), and the last number is the last digit of the year. For example, "D 15 4" would be April, 15th 1985

Your block should be 14022660, if original.
Should have know it was going to be you. You are very helpful, I dont know much about these diesel engine and just trying to take in as much as I can

Block # is correct 14022660, on the right side it read this 9-7-82
now how can i tell if it is a j code or something else. Also should I replace the head gasket with .010 oversize . And head bolts should I replace them also?
Iwill be replacing all gaskets and seals . what about the timing chain ,should that be replaced. SORRY FOR ASKING FOR SO MUCH. Thank's

67_C-30

Should have know it was going to be you. You are very helpful, I dont know much about these diesel engine and just trying to take in as much as I can

Block # is correct 14022660, on the right side it read this 9-7-82
now how can i tell if it is a j code or something else. Also should I replace the head gasket with .010 oversize . And head bolts should I replace them also?
Iwill be replacing all gaskets and seals . what about the timing chain ,should that be replaced. SORRY FOR ASKING FOR SO MUCH. Thank's

If it was a J code, it would have a non EGR intake and should not have the EPR (Exhaust Pressure Regulator) flappers on the manifolds.

The head gaskets can be stock with a turbo, but a lot of people use 6.5TD gasket to slighty lower CR. Replacing the head bolts are MUST. The factory bolts are TTY (torque to yield) bolts, they don't need to be reused. Upgrading to ARP bolts is a good mod, but new replacement TTY bolts will do. It would probably be a good idea to replace the chain, especially if the mileage is unknown.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you are doing all of this work on your 6.2, consider replacing the harmonic balancer. With time the rubber allows them to shift. You may not notice it but the crankshaft will and eventually break.

Jake59

GM 6.2 V8 Diesel Engine Number

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me something more from just the Engine number about the engine itself?

6.2 V8 Diesel Engine Number is 14022660.

Any help appreciated.

Kind reagrds,
Jake

Jake59

Hi there,

Just new here and came across this message about 6.2 Engine Number.
Out of curiosity, do you still have that Engine # 14022660 in your truck?
Reason for asking... as strange as it may sound, I have just come across a 6.2 Diesel wit engine number... sure enough... 14022660
Just wondering how this could be?

Cheers,
Jake

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
14022660 is the 6.2L block model number, from 1982 up to year 1991. So there is more than one out there...:)
6.2L engine block Nº.jpg 6.2L block.jpg

The engine's serial number is what is unique to each; found stamped in this area...
6.2L engine serial number.jpg

06TBSS

Thread from the dead!

So my serial # behind Cyl#8 is UJN 024 so all the letters are past L(dec?) So what gives on my date? Funny way of spelling June? The last digit denotes '84 and thats the year of my M1008. The story is it is an outsourced reman engine. I guess the buyer requested or got lucky and given an 84 mill(not that it matters really). My Db2 is J code and #'s lime up w '84 specs also. My truck was built Sept '83 one of the 1st M1008s.

Im just trying to find out if I have Civy heads for the precup arrangement.

Kyle
Westminster, CA

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks