• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 / MK17 Hybrid Build

promodhotrod

PCTRANS:
I knew someone else had to have done something similar. I bought an 818 (the one in my wifes artsy ice storm avatar picture) when I bought the MK17 to do this the way you did. I changed my mind due to the grief of setting up the hydraulic system and lack of load capacity to match the RBU. Plus I have to admit I just about can't drive the 818 at my size. Is your RBU tandem an Eaton DS580P RS580 combo? Mine is a MK17 Mod 0 with whatever that means, with antilock brakes, it had no axle tag and about a quarter inch of ceramic paint to chissle through to get to numbers, but in phone conversation with an eaton rep we came up with a few ratios it could be and seems I found the 5:57 in a another source (maybee on TPUB, cant remember), but I have never checked them. I was pretty confident this was it untill now. One thing Ive learned about MV's is that there seems to be no standard whatsoever (my 2 916's didnt even have compatible batteries). I guess I'll have to measure.
I planned to build the hydraulic resevoir into the sleeper, move the controls to the cab, and the winch to the rear .... or front, so I think we would be about the same final wheelbase length.
Thanks
KJ

M920

Looking good, Would like to see the finished project. I figured a gear change would be needed but wasnt sure. The MK17 has planetaries right? HEMMT axle up front would be pretty sweet also but may be over kill!
Actually it would work nice, because the Mk17 does NOT have planetary axles.....It does have a really odd gear ratio though....not sure if you can get that same ratio for the front of the 916....

Soni

promodhotrod

Hello everyone. Wanted to post a quick progress report on the prius.
Sourced the wheels and tires required for this project 16r21's. I will post or PM the source after pickup if the gentleman I'm getting them from would like me too.
Discovered that to get a 916 through a 120" tall shop door you have to flatten the tires, and remove the horns, top stack, and goofy yellow light.
Also learmed that a M51A2 will not even hold one junk Cadillac, had to clear out shop space. Seems that for this trucks volume capacity the GVT could have gotten a wheelbarrow cheaper.
KJ

promodhotrod

I learned a few things this week on the Prius:
1- needle guns are awesome! If you have a MV you definately want one.
2-You can move the seat back on a 916 about 2.5 inches, and it is comfortable even if your full grown.
3- The winch fits nicely up front, making plans for an "oilfield" style bumper to surround it.
4- The winch controls are too big comfortably to fit in the cab, so maybee air over hydraulic vale control wll be the solution there.
5- A NASCAR hotrodded 1/2" rattle gun will just barely take the nuts off the bols for major components, so a 3/4" rattler would almost certainly be needed for working on these.
6- Perhaps the best find. the new 11R24's that were on the 916 make the old dumptruck much more tolerable for tooling around. Well see if they have the same effect on the evil 818 next week.
Will post new pics next week.
KJ

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6- Perhaps the best find. the new 11R24's that were on the 916 make the old dumptruck much more tolerable for tooling around. Well see if they have the same effect on the evil 818 next week.
Will post new pics next week.
KJ
I would love to see pics of this... :-D

M920

I would love to see pics of this... :-D
Not trying to "Hijack" your thread KJ....

Here are a couple of pics of my M818 with the M916 11,00R24 tires in the rear and 395/85R20 super singles on HEMTT wheels in the front. (they are exactely the same diameter!)

Soni

Attachments

augiedoggy

Here are a couple of pics of my M818 with the M916 11,00R24 tires in the rear and 395/85R20 super singles on HEMTT wheels in the front. (they are exactely the same diameter!)

Soni
Soni, your M818 with M916 tires looks awesome to say the least, I wondered if something like that was possible. As usual....YOU DA MAN! :grd:

promodhotrod

Soni:
Did you use the Equal beads in your 11R24's or static balance? I just threw the 916's takeoffs on the dumper (no rebalance) and the ride was markedly improved. Haven't done the 818 yet , but I'm comptemplating trying the dynamic balancing prior to mounting them up. My 818 rides horrible, and I'm hoping it will improve dramaticly. And Hijack away, the more responces the better :)
KJ

Bighurt

Soni:
Did you use the Equal beads in your 11R24's or static balance? I just threw the 916's takeoffs on the dumper (no rebalance) and the ride was markedly improved. Haven't done the 818 yet , but I'm comptemplating trying the dynamic balancing prior to mounting them up. My 818 rides horrible, and I'm hoping it will improve dramaticly. And Hijack away, the more responces the better :)
KJ
For what it's worth Equal will balance a tire that can't be balance practically otherwise.

Particularly with big rubber nothing beats equal IMO.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what is the height of the 1100R24 and what is the load rating, thanks

eldgenb

Soni

There you go again driving those prices up!!:wink: good thing I have 14 of them already. Oh wait, Andy's already spoken for themaua Just kidding buddy they are still yours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks