• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 / MK17 Hybrid Build

promodhotrod

Here are the promised pics of the M51A2 with the take-of wheels and tires fromf the 916. Not as cool looking as Sonis with the wider front tires, but it gave me a couple more inches of ground clearance, 60MPH under 2K RPM, and a WHOLE lot better ride. Its kinda nice that the Army put brand new tires on the 916 before scrapping it.
Nothing interresting on the prius, lots of dissambly, paint chipping and grinding, but no photo worthy progress.
Should have pics of the new "oilfield" bumper/winch in the next week or two.
KJ

Attachments

I was a army truck driver. I was called on to get more people out of things they got into with the winch on my deuce. I have reasons for having winches in both front and rear. The winch on my own truck is mounted to a two inch receiver and can be swapped to recover myself or just pull a log for fire wood. Being that you can't do that I would middle mount one. The army did it with the M977 HEMMT it could be ran front or rear.

promodhotrod

Speaking of my towbar, its an excellent example of what doesn't work well. Its actually in the push mode here on the dumper, but you can't steer with something as big as a 916 hooked to it. I can turn the dumptruck to full lock but not be able to persuade the tandems of the 916 to go even moderatly where I want them too, it just smokes the tires on the dumper. You have to steer the dumper with the 916 even though your pushing (or pulling backwards) the 916 with the dumper. Live and learn, towbars only work good towing, not pushing. Guess I probably should have known that. Duh!

promodhotrod

Been on the road for last few months and have made no progress on the prius, but we are gettingback to work. Currently modifying an m944 rocket launcher cab to use as a sleeper and I'll post some pics when we get it looking right.
KJ

Years ago I bought a MK in Barstow, they had 20+ up for auction. Best I can remember after fees and transport I was in it for 4,000+, I made a a-frame pintle hitch for it for few hundred more. Most all the MK17's that sold at that auction brought a small #, all that I've watched since have been well over 6K and some 8 or 9.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just wanted to toss this out there. I've been crunching some numbers on this project. If you downgrade the tire size on the rear of the MK17 to a 46" tire. And run 53" tires on the front. The 6.44 front ratio of a rockwell will be only off by 9rpm at 60mph. Allowing you to use the sprag setup without issue. I'm debating on the path I'll take with mine, but I'll likely end up doing this. I'm also thinking about doing the field mod to cut the air feed to the sprag for road driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks