• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fuel Tank as an AUX fuel supply on the 002A?

joesco

All,
A very good friend of mine is going to sell me a nice clean 50 gallon fuel tank (take-off) from a M35a2. I would like to mount it on the M116A1 trailer, in front of the genset for an aux fuel supply. The genset came with a fuel bung adapter and about 25' of fuel line. I did a search and did not fine anything using this type of aux fuel supply.

Of course, I am still attempting get the unit running, but I am narrowing it down! Just planning ahead. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce fuel tank should have fittings on it for the feed and return for a deuce...cap off the opening for the in tank pump (unless it's coming with the tank) and use some 1/8" copper tubing and just "hard" pipe it right to the aux fuel pump on the generator. Only other thing you may need is a vent on the tank to keep it from collapsing as you draw fuel from it.

That way you don't need the drum adapter, just leave your pick-up tube on the deuce tank about an inch off the bottom so you don't get a bunch of crud.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think using a Deuce fuel tank on the M116A2 trailer is a good idea. I have one caveat. The Deuce fuel tank is approximately 39-3/4 long X 15-3/4 high X 21-3/4 deep. Even if you mount the deuce tank on the floor of the trailer and all the way to the right on the battery side, the tank will partially block the cooling fan intake on an MEP-003A genset mounted on an M116A2 trailer. If the tank is elevated from the floor of the trailer, even more fan intake is blocked. I know you have a 5 KW genset and I'm not that familiar with the MEP-002A so perhaps you have more room and you won't restrict air flow.

Another issue is that for my MEP-003A, the genset is mounted on the M116A2 trailer so that it is almost perfectly balanced. Although the trailer and generator are quite heavy, I can actually lift the tongue on my trailer slightly and move it around in my garage and driveway, which is a great convenience. Putting the deuce tank on the front of the trailer would rule out that capability, but this might not be an issue for you.

I thought your idea was so good, I went out and measured my genset trailer and deuce tank. Good luck.

joesco

GLCAINS,
Boy, it continues to amaze me what great advice and guidance is provided on this great forum. Did not even think of those two issues. Balance will not a problem as I have pintle hitch bolted to my loader bucket and will use that to transport it around my property. As far as cooling, I will need to take that into consideration when I get the tank later next week. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks