• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made it back from California!!

area52

For those of you that didn't follow along with Bjorn's(Cranetruck) thread about going to California - I was gonna meet up with him yesterday over in California and convoy back over to New Mexico. Sorry we didn't get to meet and convoy.

Anyway I picked up my deuce from the guy I bought it from on Ebay yesterday over in Hesperia CA. My wife was tagging along in the chase/support vehicle. Checked the truck out and started out around 3:30pm. My route took me up I15 to Barstow and east on I40 all the rest of the way to New Mexico. One word for the whole trip - HOTTTTT!!! It was 108 outside and about 5 bazillion degrees inside the cab. I finally got smart and duct taped the holes in the firewall so that cut it down to 1 bazillion degrees!! :shock:

Truck did fine the whole way, pulled 55 MPH most of the way. I was surprised to get about 10mpg with the full canvas on the rear. It was about 800 miles and took me about 16 total hours on the road 6 the first day and 10 today. Man I am tired!! Plus I have a graveyard shift tonight :( !!

Pictures will be up tomorrow, too tired now.

later

Wade

area52

pictures

Here are some pictures of my deuce. Not sure what year or manufacturer since the SF97 says unkown on just about every space!! should be fun trying to get it registered here.

There is alot of Velcro everywhere on the truck for some reason, hood, bedsides and in the cab. Overall its a pretty good truck.

Wade

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: pictures

Good looking truck! What a nice view. Is that your house?

area52

Re: RE: pictures

clinto said:
Good looking truck! What a nice view. Is that your house?
Thanks, yep thats the ol' homestead. The view is of the Animas River valley and in the far distance is the LaPlata mountains in Colorado.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Just speculation on my part but the velcro may have been to attach MILES gear. That is basically a military laser tag system. Soldiers and vehicles were outfitted with sensors that pick up signals from sending units mounted on weapons. If you or your vehicle got hit your MILES gear would put out an ear piercing squeal unitil an "Umpire" turned off your unit. I spent a lot of time being "dead" when I was in an ordnance unit. They liked to hit the ammo dump.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct wreckerman, I've had quite a few that had the velcro for that. Wished I could get some of that stuff too, it's incredibly sticky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks