• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with build ideas/questions

broylz

i am currently looking for a 1009 to buy. when i get it, my plan is to use it as a weekend wheeler for my family. i am planning on swapping to the 1-ton axles from one of the trucks. id like to run the hmmwv bead locks with the runflats in them. i am also considering a swap in the transfer case to get the PTO option to run a winch or other device, still unsure about the pto right now.

are there any issues with this conversion? i know i will need a lift to fit the 36 or 37" hmmwv tires. and the gears will be changed with the axle swap.

after this i will be moving on to possible turbo conversions and creature comforts.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.
I cannot answer your question but I am sure that the guys here that have CUCV's surely can. Just curious,why do you want to change the axles?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the axle swap is in the plans for one of my M1009's as well. I've got rust to take care of and a roll cage to fab... THEN I'll take on an axle swap.

What gears are you going with? I'm think 3.73's - meaning yeah, I'll have to replace the carrier, but that will hopefully give me what I'm looking for.

S-T, the reason to upgrade the axles is the M1009 has the weakest axles of the CUCV line. NOT saying they aren't any good. But they are not the strongest ones out there.

Not being critical, but WHY the PTO? Just curious. You can get a good heavy duty Warn 12k winch. I BELIEVE that you can even get it in 24 v if you want, though it has been a while since I looked.

Oh and welcome to SS.

Last edited:

broylz

i want to upgrade the axles as the blazers have the 10 bolt axles iirc. i had a 82 chevy truck on 37" mt tires with the 10 bolts and they were the first part to break on a sandy hill climb early into that project. just figured if im buying milsurp i might as well get mil strength as well.

as far as the PTO, i saw one on a truck that had the work box bed on it and it had one to run a generator or winch, cant remember. i probably wont get one in the blazer but might. plan on getting a truck as well, not sure which one yet but it may be the one with the generator and such to have a good work truck around the farm. gotta buy my farm first :) that will be the next build. 1ton truck with the work type bed on it with the tool compartments and such. on board generator, welder and air.

Cucvnut

Either way he has to swap axles so why not start with a M1009 vs a K5? Good idea on the axles and you cancget a 24v warn winch. I would go with a np241 or a205 Tcase but a 241 has a lower low range. If you want loom at my build for some ideas. Ill be putting on my H1 rims with 37s n them soon

broylz

not sure about the recenters. if i need to i will. thats the kind of thing i started this thread for, the little things i may overlook.

AllenEM

there is more to just swapping axles also. I learning first hand if you use axles from a M1008 the front will fit but you will need to look at doing a high steer conversion also, and for the rear the spring perches are 1.5" per side to narrow so you will have to more them and the shock mounts also. good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks