• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a BMP/OT-90?

Driver_Neil

Fitting rubber pads to the OT-90's tracks is not a quick or easy job. The only pads that will fit are BMP-2 ones. Last I heard they were about £16 each here in the UK with a month or two waiting list. And you have about 92 each side.... To fit them you (Lee, the owner) will need to jack the vehicle up and support the weight then remove the tracks and break them down into individual links. Each pad will then need two holes plasma cut into each link for the mounting bolts. Once this is done you bolt the pads into place and then reassemble and refit the tracks so you will also need a set of track tools to do this with. I've been trying to get a set for 5 years now....
I had my pads fitted by the dealer when I bought it - a long and painfully expensive story involving the UK's VOSA Gov't agency. :mad:

Last edited:

BiffJ

Where are you exactly? We are in eastern indiana and have a few BMP's. To the best of my knowledge the transmission is shifted manually as Neil noted but the clutch and brakes are air operated. If you stop the engine you cannot get it out of gear unless its level and no load. There is a lever down near your left ankle to operate the clutch if you stall the vehicle. You have to open it and depress the clutch pedal. It may require opening the air bottle just behind and below the driver or it may work on whats in the system. There are a number of places the air system frequently leaks. Light switches will need to be figured out based on the manual neil has and direct observation. The US manual is not accurate in some areas. One point says that you should drain the air system by opening the valve just behind and below the drivers seat on the right and leaving it open for a minute. If you do that and the valve on the floor is open you will drain about 5 gallons of your cooling water on the ground. There is an air system drain valve but its not there. The vehicles have lots of little quirks and oddities and learning them early will keep you from damaging anything. As neil noted you really need to pre-oil the engine by turning on the master switch and pressing the rubber covered button on the left of the open center area of the dash. I don't recall exactly what the label says but I think it says something olje or ???? Hold the switch til you hear the pump slow down and see on the guage that there is at least 2 kg/cm2 of oil pressure. I just started up 2 of them this afternoon to make sure there was oil in the fuel injection pump block. The fuel rails will sometimes stick if you let the vehicle sit for some time. Send me an IM and I'll give you an email address for contact. Maybe we can help out. The vehicles are really cool and the OT90 is lighter than the BMP and a bit quicker because of that. Its much simpler as well since the turret has no floor to cover up air or fuel lines and it doesn't hide the sight guage for the fuel tank like the one in the BMP.

Frank

Driver_Neil

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the link to the manuals I have in electronic form. I have them up on dropbox and it will not let me generate a public URL for the folder, it has to be for a specific e-mail address.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank,

Lee, (and CFF) are located in the Columbia, SC area, as I am. Coldest I remember it getting around here is 4 degrees F, and that was almost 30 years ago. I have pictures of me in a tee shirt and shorts in February (standing beside a snowman as it was melting in 60 degree weather). It's a rare day when the weather does not get above freezing sometime in 24 hours. You can send PM's/E-mail to Lee (member LightningCato) directly if you wish.

Milspec33

Frank,
I would appreciate the manual, milspec33@gmail.com Lee is a member of CFF and we are all working as a team. We are all excited by the arrival of the OT-90 and Lee has a passion for armor.

Milspec33

Mike,
Thank you for jumping on in. You are always welcome to join CFF or come on out to look around. I hope the "Jeep Club" is going well.

TehTDK

Neil, does it HAVE to be a UK arms dealer, or is it acceptable as long as its another arms dealer located inside the EU Region?. If any EU arms dealer is acceptable then I might try and call around and see if I might be able to help you out from across the north sea :)

Driver_Neil

Frank,
I would appreciate the manual, milspec33@gmail.com Lee is a member of CFF and we are all working as a team. We are all excited by the arrival of the OT-90 and Lee has a passion for armor.
Did you mean Frank - or me?? :) I'll send the links to the files to that address and you can help yourselves!!

Neil, does it HAVE to be a UK arms dealer, or is it acceptable as long as its another arms dealer located inside the EU Region?. If any EU arms dealer is acceptable then I might try and call around and see if I might be able to help you out from across the north sea :smile:
I "think" with UK regulations it has to be a UK dealer but am not totally sure. Any deactivated weapon has to be sent to either the London or Birmingham Proof Houses to be certified it is in line with the UK requirements and usually a UK dealer has to bring it in, deactivate it and submit it.
I will enquire and see if a non UK - but within the EU - dealer can submit a deact to one of the UK proof houses for subsequent sale to a UK citizen. If the answer is yes and you are able to help that would be fantastic!!

TehTDK

I "think" with UK regulations it has to be a UK dealer but am not totally sure. Any deactivated weapon has to be sent to either the London or Birmingham Proof Houses to be certified it is in line with the UK requirements and usually a UK dealer has to bring it in, deactivate it and submit it.
I will enquire and see if a non UK - but within the EU - dealer can submit a deact to one of the UK proof houses for subsequent sale to a UK citizen. If the answer is yes and you are able to help that would be fantastic!!
Well our gun laws are most likely just as crazy as yours I would think. But I mean there is no harm in asking, the worst they can say is that it has to be a UK Dealer, but fingers crossed that a EU Dealer might suffice if from certain countries etc.

MadCat2

As a former tanker I saw someone w a Scorpion at a MV rally and i got bit by the Armor bug and had to have one. Didnt think we would like Russian gear, but its easy to steer and a ton of fun in the snow! Waiting on mine to be delivered right now!OT-90 In Transit.jpg

Timberwolf22

Went out with MadCat2 to Minnesota and picked out the OT-90.

Have been spending a good amount of time getting to know her and the quirks of the vehicle......like she only likes to start when parked in Neutral on level ground... otherwise you end up using the Deuce or wrecker to pull her forward and relieve the pressure on the transmission.

Of-course threw a track in the mud and vehicle recovery was an impressive sight.... the wrecker, skid steer and backhoe were all necessary to get the track back on the OT-90.

Lots of paint scraping and now sand blasting to get her looking good.

Amphibious operations are still pending..... all the Czech language on the controls makes discovery of functionality interesting to say the least.

We have the comm system functional now but short a few helmet cables.

It is fun to play but armor is not forgiving.

Robin33ba07

hello all ,Robin is my name and I live in Ireland and have an OT90 M2 ,I also have BMP operators manual prepared by 11th CBTI CO (TI)(REINF) Intelligence threat and analysis centre USA INSCOM .
It covers everything you need to know

datadawg

Went out with MadCat2 to Minnesota and picked out the OT-90.

Have been spending a good amount of time getting to know her and the quirks of the vehicle......like she only likes to start when parked in Neutral on level ground... otherwise you end up using the Deuce or wrecker to pull her forward and relieve the pressure on the transmission.

Of-course threw a track in the mud and vehicle recovery was an impressive sight.... the wrecker, skid steer and backhoe were all necessary to get the track back on the OT-90.

Lots of paint scraping and now sand blasting to get her looking good.

Amphibious operations are still pending..... all the Czech language on the controls makes discovery of functionality interesting to say the least.

We have the comm system functional now but short a few helmet cables.

It is fun to play but armor is not forgiving.
So is it in Pennsylvania?? If so, are you guys going to the Reading Air show in a few days? That might nudge me to drive the 5 ton there and check her out!

Timberwolf22

Yes the OT-90 is in PA - up north. The challenge with the OT-90 is that when we transport it = 14+ tons and an over sized load since she is so wide.

So we don't take it off the property often.

We don't vend at the Reading Air Show ....... used to but way to $ as far as expenses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks